Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite P500 (PSPE8A-01R002) - Number pad and num lock not working
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-Mar-2010 07:50 Last Post By: Adrian_vol
AndrewF

Satellite P500 (PSPE8A-01R002) - Number pad and num lock not working
Posted: 13-Feb-2010 07:13

After upgrading to Windows 7 the number pad and num lock on my P500 PSPE8A-01R002 is not working.

Any help will be appreciated.
Xardas

Re: Satellite P500 (PSPE8A-01R002) - Number pad and num lock not working
Posted: 13-Feb-2010 09:18   in response to: AndrewF in response to: AndrewF

Hi AndrewF,

Have you noticed the same problem on preinstalled OS from Toshiba?
As far as I know Satellite P500 are always delivered with Windows 7… Which OS came with your P500?

Anyway, in your case I would try updating the BIOS. You can get the latest version on the Toshiba website.
AndrewF

Posted: 13-Feb-2010 09:29   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

Hi Xardas,

The preinstalled OS was Vista which did't have the problem. I have tried searching for a BIOS (Windows 7 Home premium) update on the Aussie ( http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support ) site without luck. If you know of one and the link could you post it, my current version is V1.60?

Cheers
peterk_1

Posted: 13-Feb-2010 12:23   in response to: AndrewF in response to: AndrewF

Have you checked the registry settings - copied from the web:-

Click Start, click Run, and type regedit to open the Windows registry editor.
In the registry, open the below folders.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\
Control Panel\
Keyboard\

Within the keyboard folder, you should have a string value named "InitialKeyboardIndicators" with a value of 0, 1, or 2. Below is the explanation of each of these values.

0 = Num Lock is turned OFF after the logon.
1 = Disable Num Lock.
2 = Numlock is turned ON after the logon.
AndrewF

Posted: 13-Feb-2010 22:19   in response to: peterk_1 in response to: peterk_1

Hi Peterk_1,

Thanks for that hint. My setting for "InitialKeyboardIndicators" is 2, Numlock is turned ON after the logon and the light on the keyboard indicating that the numlock is on is on. Pressing the numlock button does not turn it off however.
peterk_1

Posted: 14-Feb-2010 12:46   in response to: AndrewF in response to: AndrewF
Helpful
Since keys worked in vista then its reasonable to assume there is something in the "software". I doubt that windows can make changes to the bios though there is Toshiba HWsetup but that does't look to do anything relevant.

I don't know what conclusions could be drawn from the results of trying an external keyboard.

How about trying various boot sequences such as direct to the command prompt and direct to safe mode to pin down it the problem is specific to your W7 installation? - why not try making a bootable cd (i'd have to google to find out how but you should be able to try windows 98 or even DOS - there was also a run from cd/dvd version of Linux and there's also the new Google os to consider).

Within W7 the only things that affect the keyboard would be settings in control panel > ease of access where the keypad can be set up as a mouse or keys remapped so num lock is "something else" and, clutching at straws, I presume keyboard language settings - are there any languages that require use of a numeric key pad to give a full character set (keyboard set to foreign language and Windows set to "English" so that the foreign character set isn't displayed?
AndrewF

Posted: 17-Feb-2010 10:53   in response to: peterk_1 in response to: peterk_1

Using a USB keyboard (Dell's) I am able to turn on and off the num lock light on the laptops keyboard.

Looking at the properties of the keyboard the Hardware tab list Microsoft keyboards? Who are the manufactures of the Toshiba keyboards, Toshiba??
xaver

Posted: 17-Feb-2010 14:59   in response to: AndrewF in response to: AndrewF

Can you install Vista recovery image again and confirm that keyboard is working properly again?
I know it is most radical method to check hardware functionality but it will be interesting to know if keyboard works properly with “factory settings”.
peterk_1

Posted: 17-Feb-2010 17:56   in response to: AndrewF in response to: AndrewF

As far as I know the laptop keyboard is shown in device manager as a standard ps-2 k/board (microsoft drivers) and that even if you plugged in 3 more usb k/boards you would only see one std ps-2 k/board - that also explains why the dell can toggle the tosh num lock.
Do you think you have a faulty num lock switch ? -if that's the case and there is no issue with dirt/grit under the key and you are out of warranty then you may be able to remap num lock to the pause/break key with a program like Key Tweak http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
peterk_1

Posted: 17-Feb-2010 18:16   in response to: xaver in response to: xaver
Helpful

Sorry for the multiple posts - I was trying to establish why I am getting the message "Please note, your thread will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be posted in the forum." and I didn't think that my messages were all being submitted to you

AndrewF if yyou think the keyboard switch is faulty google for KeyTweak

This is what I was trying to post
As far as I know the laptop keyboard is shown in device manager as a standard ps-2 k/board (microsoft drivers) and that even if you plugged in 3 more usb k/boards you would only see one std ps-2 k/board - that also explains why the dell can toggle the tosh num lock.
Do you think you have a faulty num lock switch ? -if that's the case and there is no issue with dirt/grit under the key and you are out of warranty then you may be able to remap num lock to the pause/break key with a program like Key Tweak ( http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/ )

Message was edited by: peterk_1
AndrewF

Posted: 17-Feb-2010 23:13   in response to: xaver in response to: xaver

Not wanting to go back to Vista I didn't create a recovery disk, my bad. And yes that is a lot of work to investigate if factory settings will revert the problem.
AndrewF

Posted: 17-Feb-2010 23:25   in response to: peterk_1 in response to: peterk_1

Thanks for the ref to KeyTweak, I hope the key is not faulty the laptop is 6 months old. The issue had occurred straight after installing Windows7. So I think I must be related to the upgrade. I will try to find the correct driver for the keyboard.
Adrian_vol

Posted: 07-Mar-2010 01:23   in response to: AndrewF in response to: AndrewF
Correct
had the same problem.. couldn't find windows 7 bios drivers so i installed the new vista one and my numberpad is working fine!!!
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved