Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Portege M600 Keyboard & Touchpad not working
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Feb-2010 13:52 Last Post By: PauPau
Michael Bull

Portege M600 Keyboard & Touchpad not working
Posted: 10-Feb-2010 08:25

Hi,

I have a M600 (PPM60A), I recently did an upgrade from Vista to Win 7 (not a clean upgrade), some time (? A week??) after the requisite online updates, the keyboard & touchpad stopped working, when connected to docking station.

All is well using an external keyboard & wireless mouse.
I have tried "F9", even trying to reload the Synaptics Touchpad drivers from TOshiba website - it gives the message - Syn TP.... Install Failed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or do I now own a "low power desktop!!"
Paolo30

Re: Portege M600 Keyboard & Touchpad not working
Posted: 10-Feb-2010 09:12   in response to: Michael Bull in response to: Michael Bull
Helpful
after the requisite online updates, the keyboard & touchpad stopped working, when connected to docking station.

Did you test the notebook without docking station?
How about new OS installation? Did you test if the keyboard and touchpad will work after new recovering?
Do this!

PS: the Portege M600 is not “low power” notebook… it’s a business class notebook and belongs to a “better” notebook series….
Xardas

Posted: 10-Feb-2010 09:25   in response to: Michael Bull in response to: Michael Bull
Helpful
Hi

Does this happen only if your notebook is connected to docking station?
Maybe you have connected external input devices to the docking station so try to remove it. Then the internal input devices should start work again.

Furthermore I think it’s important to use a new BIOS version. Check the Toshiba website for an update!
Michael Bull

Posted: 15-Feb-2010 01:08   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

Hi Guys

When docked, it uses the external screen/keyboard/mouse and everything works fine, however, remove from teh toshiba docking station and rely upon the laptop's keyboard/mousepad and neither work. If I then (still not connected to anything) plug in a USB mouse, that mouse works perfectly - so I guess it is all about the onboard keyboard/mousepad only.

I had previously upgraded the BIOS, - no difference.

Over the weekend, I went to "Driver Fetch" and uninstalled then downloaded/installed the Synaptics Touchpad drivers and then the 102 keyboard drivers, it came up as successully installed - but still no difference! aaagghhhhh!

Any further help other than a can of petrol & box of matches would be most welcome!

You jumped at my comment re; a "low power desktop" - I think that you misunderstood what I had said - the key word in my original comment was "desktop" - I purchased the Portege notebooks for my business (we have 4) because they were business notebooks but if they sit on a desk and **can't** be mobile then regardless, they become an expensive desktop substitute that is low powered by comparison! - Regards Mick
Al-eX

Posted: 15-Feb-2010 10:31   in response to: Michael Bull in response to: Michael Bull

hi Michael Bull,
test if a other machine act the same when your hdd in it...
find out if it's hard- or software related...
when the failure exists with your hdd in any other machine - software
if the failure exists only in your notebook (with a other hdd) it's hardware...

if your touchpad and keyboard isnt working maybe the cables are not in place...

make the "hdd test" first!
Michael Bull

Posted: 19-Feb-2010 05:43   in response to: Michael Bull in response to: Michael Bull

Hi Al-Ex, thanks for replying. Unfortunately I am not that technical, when you say hdd do you mean remove the hard drive from the laptop and replace? because that's all a bit hard to do for a non-technician person.

If I am wrong in the above, I am happy to try something else.

I seriously can see me chucking this laptop in the bin and buying another, it is 18 months old so I don't want to spend a fortune getting it repaired.

Thanks for your help
Regards
Mick
PauPau

Posted: 19-Feb-2010 13:52   in response to: Michael Bull in response to: Michael Bull

Hi

Unfortunately I am not that technical, when you say hdd do you mean remove the hard drive from the laptop and replace?
I think he meant exactly this…

Nevertheless, you should get in contact with an ASP (service partner) in your country since you are not technical…
An keyboard or touchpad replacement should not be very expensive…

Let’s check the notebook by a technician and then you could decide what you would like to do….
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved