Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite L40 - How to restore to factory settings?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11-Nov-2009 14:37 Last Post By: MisterX
tingtongman

Satellite L40 - How to restore to factory settings?
Posted: 11-Nov-2009 00:51

I am really hoping that someone can help me before I smash up my laptop.

I have a Satellite L40 laptop, which started showing a logonui.exe error on the login page, at the same time, the avrt.dll error started and my sound was no longer working.
I have tried to put a new avrt.dll file in, which it will not let me do.
So I decided to make a clean install of the OS (vista).

I do not have a recovery disk to do it though, so I tried to do a factory reset, pressing 0 and C and F11, I managed to get to the page where you input your product key, which then said that the sources\install.wim was missing and therefore could not continue.
I then tried F8 repair comp, which when it goes to the page with the 6 options, does not give me the HDD recovery option, it says restoring the complete windows, but only gives information when I press it.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this, as I am getting rather annoyed now. Thanks
MisterX

Re: Satellite L40 - How to restore to factory settings?
Posted: 11-Nov-2009 11:13   in response to: tingtongman in response to: tingtongman

Hi buddy

As I’m not mistaken the Sat L40 has not been equipped with HDD recovery option.
So you will not be able to restore is without any Recovery disks or Microsoft Windows disk.

Put the recovery disk (if you don’t have such recovery disk use your own Microsoft Windows disk) and boot from such CD or DVD.
The necessary drivers are released on the Toshiba page and you could download it after Win OS installation.

Note; you need the Microsoft serial key to activate the Windows. You cannot use the Toshiba serial key which is placed at the bottom of the unit! It belongs to the preinstalled OEM version and will not work with your private version
tingtongman

Posted: 11-Nov-2009 12:55   in response to: MisterX in response to: MisterX

Hi MisterX,
Thank you for the reply.

The only recovery disk that I have is the one that I downloaded from a torrent (windows vista recovery disk), which will not let me do a clean install of the OS. The laptop did not come with a OS disk either, hence why I downloaded the ISO file.

Do you mean that the windows product key on the bottom of the laptop is useless? Does that mean that the only way I can fix the laptop is to spend more money buying a OS system from Microsoft, which is to fix a problem that they created!!
MisterX

Posted: 11-Nov-2009 13:58   in response to: tingtongman in response to: tingtongman

Do you mean that the windows product key on the bottom of the laptop is useless?
Exactly!

Does that mean that the only way I can fix the laptop is to spend more money buying a OS system from Microsoft, which is to fix a problem that they created!!
The only way to fix this issue is to reinstall the OS.
You can use either recovery disk or Microsoft disk.
If you don’t have one of both disks then you have to purchase a one!
tingtongman

Posted: 11-Nov-2009 14:27   in response to: MisterX in response to: MisterX

Thank you for replying again to me.

The only recovery disk that I have is the one that I downloaded, but when I tried to use that, it came up sources\install.wim is missing and was not able to carry on. My sister has a brand new computer, which has vista on it and the free upgrade to windows 7, will I either, be able to create the OS disk from her computer, or upgrade hers to windows 7 and then make a disk and put windows 7 on the laptop?

I appreciate the help that you are giving me.
MisterX

Posted: 11-Nov-2009 14:37   in response to: tingtongman in response to: tingtongman

I don’t know if this is possible.
If you would create a disk on another computer then all the drivers and tools would be included into the Win 7 recovery disk as well.
I doubt such disk could be used on Toshiba notebook because your notebook has been equipped with different parts and devices and driver from the different computers will not work!

So once again!
So you need either Toshiba recovery disk for the L40 or CLEAN Microsoft Windows disk without any drivers or tools from other computers.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved