Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Portege R600-10Q - Touchpad stopped working
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 20-Aug-2009 16:32 Last Post By: Jeffrey
markmh

Portege R600-10Q - Touchpad stopped working
Posted: 13-Aug-2009 08:59

Hi

My touch pad has stopped working. I have tried turning it on and off with the FN keys and this hasnt helped - can someone let me know what I can do to get it working?

mark
Raver

Re: Portege R600-10Q - Touchpad stopped working
Posted: 13-Aug-2009 09:34   in response to: markmh in response to: markmh

Hi

Maybe you should post the exact notebook model and OS that you use.
What do you think about this?

Anyway, what happens if you connect an external mouse? Can you work with it?

Does the other FN keys working? Maybe only the ON/OFF utility for touchpad isn’t working and can’t be solved with a new installation.
Furthermore you should update the driver of touchpad.

Good luck!
markmh

Posted: 13-Aug-2009 09:50   in response to: Raver in response to: Raver

Vista 32bit and Portege R600-10Q

External mouse does work because there are only two USB ports I would prefer not to work with external mouse all the time. Other FN keys do work

How do I update the driver?

mark
Luke_1

Posted: 13-Aug-2009 12:26   in response to: markmh in response to: markmh

Hello

Updating a driver is pretty easy. First of all you should remove the old version in control panel > Add/Remove Software. After this restart the notebook and install the newest version from Toshiba page.

I hope this information is useful for you! :)

Greets
ka4426

Posted: 19-Aug-2009 18:08   in response to: Luke_1 in response to: Luke_1

I am having exactly the same problem - Portege A600-12O, running Vista. Touchpad does not respond, all function keys work (F9 claims to be toggling between Touch Pad enable / diable, but doesn't do anything).

The advice about removing the driver and reinstalling from Toshiba looks good - but how do I uninstall!

Control Panel lets me uninstall software, but it doesn't list things like drivers (or I don't see them), and then - where on the Toshiba site will I find the replacement?

any help hugely appreciated

KA
Eldorado

Posted: 19-Aug-2009 18:32   in response to: ka4426 in response to: ka4426

The advice about removing the driver and reinstalling from Toshiba looks good - but how do I uninstall!
The VAP must be removed! This package contains the single tools which are responsible for the different notebook features… and the VAP controls also FN buttons functionality.

Remove the VAP, reboot the notebook and reinstall this tool again.. that’s everything…
ka4426

Posted: 20-Aug-2009 10:51   in response to: Eldorado in response to: Eldorado

Thanks Eldorado -

well, I removed the VAP

then reinstalled the driver (from Toshiba help) - it tells me that this is already the driver that is installed

nothing happened

I reinstalled the VAP

the icons that appear when the fn key is pressed no longer appeared, but the fn key+Fxx still did everything as before - that is, everything except switching on the touchpad

I reinstalled the driver again

still nothing

I have now system restored to before removing the VAP, so at least I can see the fn key icons ...

but the touchpad still isn't working.

any further ideas?

KA

Mores

Posted: 20-Aug-2009 12:22   in response to: ka4426 in response to: ka4426

Is touchpad device enabled in device manager?
Enter also touchpad advanced settings and check all “disable” options there.
ka4426

Posted: 20-Aug-2009 13:21   in response to: Mores in response to: Mores

Thank you -

ok, I looked and - Device manger doesn't see it.

There is no touchpad listed under mice and other pointing devices (only the USB mouse I am using to replace it), human interface devices or anywhere else
Jeffrey

Posted: 20-Aug-2009 13:44   in response to: ka4426 in response to: ka4426

Hi

The touchpad should appear in device manager under the “Mice and other pointing devices”.
If this is not the case then you should see it somewhere else marked with yellow exclamation mark or as a unknown device.

Otherwise this would mean that the touchpad malfunctions if the touchpad is not visible in device manager.

As last try you could restore the notebook to factory settings using the Toshiba recovery disk. Maybe the touchpad would work then…. but if the touchpad will still not work even after the setting in to the factory settings then I would recommend contacting the notebook technician for an hardware check.
ka4426

Posted: 20-Aug-2009 14:24   in response to: Jeffrey in response to: Jeffrey

Thank you - I'm reluctant to go through the whole factory reset, but I recognise it might be the last resort

Ok, I have now found it by looking at device manager / view / show hidden devices

it is under mice and other pointing devices
showing up as Alps Pointing device, with a yellow warning indicator

properties / device status says

"This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

Check for solutions shows "could not load driver software Microsoft is checking for a solution to this problem" for about two seconds, and then returns to the device status page.

Jeffrey

Posted: 20-Aug-2009 14:40   in response to: ka4426 in response to: ka4426

Hi

Try to remove the device from device manager. Just simply mark it and press DELETE.
Then uninstall the touchpad driver which could be still available on the system (control panel -> software)
Then reboot the notebook and after new reboot the Windows OS should ask you for a new driver.
Then point to the driver which you have downloaded from the Toshiba page.

Check this.
ka4426

Posted: 20-Aug-2009 15:20   in response to: Jeffrey in response to: Jeffrey

Thank you -

I tried, but with no positive results:

I uninstalled the device,
deleted the driver,
rebooted - the computer didn't ask me for any driver
reinstalled the driver (tpdrv-20081027104556.zip, from my desktop, installing Alps driver 7.2.303.107)
checked the device status, which was then giving Code 10, asking for a reboot (at this point I was excited - something different!)
so I rebooted
but now I am back to there still being a problem, with device status again saying "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24) Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available. "

So - any further avenues I could go down?

KA
Jeffrey

Posted: 20-Aug-2009 16:32   in response to: ka4426 in response to: ka4426

As mentioned above… try new system restore…
This seems to be last resort…. But if the system restore doesn’t help then this would mean that there is something wrong with the hardware…
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved