Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
My laptop makes a lot of noise
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 09-Jul-2009 14:26 Last Post By: Horwath
drakrampasha

My laptop makes a lot of noise
Posted: 09-Jul-2009 13:27

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, my name is Akram, I am from united states of America.

I have got this Toshiba laptop last year I have all the details it’s purchased in UK and sold in Saudi Arabia.
Recently from a month my laptop is making a lot of noise may be the fan or processor.
I am a doctor student, I don’t really know about it.

The noise is so annoying that I don’t carry the laptop to library or to college. Everyone in my class knows once I start using my laptop if I take it, irritated by all the comments made by my friends. I took the laptop for repair, I somehow browsed ur site and got ur Toshiba repair depot.

As I was in warranty till last week, I went to DATA VISION computer services, 39th street, New York City, but to add to my problem the people there said it just cleaned it and said it’s done. But the problem is the same.

I had to go again then he says all the Toshiba laptops make such noises. Isn't it annoying to know this?
If it’s true that all Toshiba laptops make such noises I beg you literally.

Please do not manufacture any more laptops, it’s really irritating to know, and the fellows just trying to convince me,
Nothing is managed at best by Toshiba. I am so unhappy and worring why did I buy this.

There is no management what so ever.
Thanks I hope someone will ever correct the problem, you can contact me on my mail id "drakrampasha@gmail.com or drakram_mbbs@yahoo.com
Jimi

Re: My laptop makes a lot of noise
Posted: 09-Jul-2009 13:40   in response to: drakrampasha in response to: drakrampasha

Hi mate

Welcome to our small notebook community…

First of all if you are talking about a Toshiba notebook then you should post some details about your notebook. Who should know what model you have?

Secondly I have no idea what noise you mean… are you talking about noise which is create by cooling module fans?

Just one comment regarding this:
As i was in warranty till last week, i went to DATA VISION computer services, 39th street, new york city, but to add to my problem the people there said it just cleaned it and said its done. But the problem is the same. I had to go again then he says all the toshiba laptops make such noises.

I don’t know if it’s your first notebook or not but if you are talking about the noise created by cooling ventilator then you should know that you would hear the cooling ventilators on ALL notebooks!
If the heat dissipation is higher then the cooling modules have to run faster and therefore the noise could be louder. But you can also reduce the noise if you would set the CPU and cooling modules to a lower performance. This can be down in Toshiba power saver.

I had three different Toshiba notebooks in the past. Now I’ve got U400 Satellite and I’m happy. Of course I can hear the fans running but that’s nothing unusual!
Horwath

Posted: 09-Jul-2009 13:45   in response to: drakrampasha in response to: drakrampasha

Hello Akram

I am sorry to hear you have this problem with your notebook. to be honest it will be interesting to know which notebook model do you have exactly.

I use Toshiba notebooks since year 2000 and I have pretty good experience with them. My first one was old Satellite 3000 later Satellite P20, M70 and now I have two of them – Satellite P200 and brand new Satellite A300. None of them was loud.

Just on big Satellite P20 I noticed the same after 2 years of usage but after cleaning everything was OK again. For my work I use Satellite P200 and it is really quiet.
So I am really surprised you got this statement from technicians.

I recommend you to contact some other service and to talk with them. If you have noticed such noise it can be also defective cooling vent. It can happen that small ball-bearing inside is defective and when vent is rotating it makes strange noise. Friend of mine has had this problem on old Tecra M1.

Other way the strange noise can be also because of defective HDD. I had this problem on my old Satellite M70. HDD was defective and when I have started several applications I have heard “squeaking” sound. After HDD replacement everything was OK.

It is really not easy to say what the problem can be so the best thing you can do is to find serious service provider and ask for help.

Good luck my friend and let us know what you have done with your notebook.
drakrampasha

Posted: 09-Jul-2009 13:53   in response to: Jimi in response to: Jimi

Model name, A300-14S, MODEL FAMILY-SATELLITE, CATEGORY - PORTABLE.,

Yeah as u say but i have all my friends and collegues using laptops in library.
No laptop makes the noise. Yeah it is the blowing sound and by the way i use my laptop to a minimum possible as i know that if it gets heated up it will make some fan sound.

But u wont believe one day when i switched on the laptop a friend of mine he was sleeping in the room after he got up his first comment on this was did i switch on the air conditioner or air cooler.

What should i say about it. You know i even stopped using the laptop in class because of this noise.
I saw this same model laptop in college and i asked and heard for if it also makes such noise but it didn't.

But iam confused i just wanna throw this laptop in a dust bin.
Its annoying man,u wont understand this., I wish u could
Jimi

Posted: 09-Jul-2009 14:07   in response to: drakrampasha in response to: drakrampasha

Thanks for your feedback mate.
A friend of mine has a A300 and you can believe or not, the sound which is coming from the cooling ventilators is not annoying and it’s nothing unusual.

You said also that you checked other A300 and the other A300 was more quieter.
I saw this same model laptop in college and i asked and heard for if it also makes such noise but it didn't.

I think that your cooling modules could be faulty and possibly you should contact the ASP again in order to check the cooling module.

Cheers mate
Horwath

Posted: 09-Jul-2009 14:26   in response to: drakrampasha in response to: drakrampasha

Hi again

OK now we can discuss about your Satellite A300. As I wrote in my first posting I have the same notebook model and it is pretty quiet.
To make it quieter do the follow:
  • Optimize preinstalled operating system and disable all useless background processes
  • When you use your notebook let it run under balanced power plan
  • Go to advanced power options and enter there Toshiba Power settings > Cooling method and set it to minimum performance.

I hope your notebook will run quieter as before. I have done the same and I am very satisfied with it.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved