Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite A200-14D PSAECE - Fn keys not working & other function keys
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10-Jun-2009 09:11 Last Post By: Chad
florin_pf

Satellite A200-14D PSAECE - Fn keys not working & other function keys
Posted: 08-Jun-2009 07:30

Hello,

1) i am asking for your help about installing my Fn keys drivers for my Satellite A200 14 D PSAECE laptop.
My OS is Windows XP and i have Bitdefender Internet Security 2009 .
From the download page of Toshiba drivers i got all drivers for my laptop (36 of all - or close), but from the many Xp reinstalations i have done on my laptop, only one time all Fn keys worked when pressing Fn+key and the corresponding icons appeared on my display. I have read some forum topics and i understand there is a problem about the order in which i have to install them ( i already installed them all but it is not working ), so i need someone to tell me which are the drivers for Fn keys only and in which order to install. Please do not forget that i can deactivate my Bitdefender but not uninstall .

2) the same problem with the preset buttons above the keys - On-Off, Internet, Media Player, Play-Stop-Rewind, i need the exact driver and the order.

Thank you for your time :)
Sorry if this question is already answer in the forum somewhere, but i could not get this exact answer.
Jaba

Re: Satellite A200-14D PSAECE - Fn keys not working & other function keys
Posted: 08-Jun-2009 09:57   in response to: florin_pf in response to: florin_pf

Hi

I remember that the BIOS should be updated to the Win XP version on Satellite A200 series.
There are two different BIOS versions and depending on the installed (Vista or Win XP) the right version should be used.

But there are many FN buttons which needs additional installation of different tools.
For example the Touch Pad On/Off Utility should be installed to use the FN+F9 buttons.

Furthermore you should install the Controls Driver 2.49.2.5C and Controls 3.22.2701 in order to get the Toshiba Control buttons functionality.
Boarder

Posted: 08-Jun-2009 16:27   in response to: florin_pf in response to: florin_pf

Hello

I have checked the Toshiba driver download page and it seems that there are two BIOS versions available – One for Windows XP and the other one for Vista.
So first of all you should update your BIOS with the right version (XP).

Furthermore I have founded the installation instructions document for your notebook. This is a list for the recommended driver and software installation order.
Check this list and it seems that you must install the following Toshiba components to get all special keys working:
  • Toshiba Assist
  • Toshiba Hotkey Utility
  • Toshiba Accessibility
  • Touchpad ON/OFF utility
  • Toshiba Controls & Driver

Bye
florin_pf

Posted: 09-Jun-2009 06:28   in response to: Boarder in response to: Boarder

I looked the download site of toshiba for drivers and there i found in the order u suggested:
1-toshiba assist
2-toshiba hotkey utility
3-toshiba Accessibility
4-Touch Pad On/Off Utility
5-toshiba controls
6-toshiba controls driver

So only 5 and 6 are not identical, what should i use: 5 then 6, or 6 then 5 ?

And why does it appear there 2 files for the same purpose ? e.g. "Touch Pad Driver" appears once for Alps Electric and once for Synaptics, how should i know which one to use ?

Thank you :)
Chad

Posted: 09-Jun-2009 09:36   in response to: florin_pf in response to: florin_pf

what should i use: 5 then 6, or 6 then 5 ?
Generally you should install firstly the driver and then the utility!!!
So firstly 6 and then 5 ;)

Touch Pad Driver" appears once for Alps Electric and once for Synaptics, how should i know which one to use?
You need both ;)
florin_pf

Posted: 09-Jun-2009 16:45   in response to: Chad in response to: Chad

so i need to install every name of driver or utility that appears twice with the same name but made by different companies ?

I will write down how it is described in the text file with instalation instructions, then i will mark the ones that are available for dld with "i have it", also the order that i will install will be the ascending order of numbers at the beginning of each driver/utility, the ones that do not appear in the dld page of Toshiba will be marked "unavailable for dld" . Can you please check the order of ALL that are "i have it" and the ones with questions and confirm if the all drivers are prezent here with the correct order of instalation ? Thanks :)

INSTALL ORDER

No. Component Name Version

2 VALUEADD folder Service Pack2(RTM) -----------------------unavailable for dld
3 SUPPORT folder Service Pack2(RTM)------------------------------unavailable for dld
4 Microsoft Internet Explorer ---------------------------------------------unavailable for dld
8 Step by Step Interactive Training(Pro) for ENG version------unavailable for dld
9 SLP Module OEMSLP2.0 ----------------------------------------------unavailable for dld
10 Microsoft .NET Framewor-----------------------------------------------unavailable for dld
12 Intel ICH8M Chipset Utility----------------------------------------------i have it
13 Intel 965GM VGA Driver ---------------------------------------------i have it
14 Realtek ALC268 Audio Driver

i have it
15 Realtek 10/100 8101E, Gigabit 8111B LAN Driver ---------i have it
16 ALPS Touch Pad Driver ---------------------------------------------number 16 and 17 both have to be installed ? they are with the same .
17 Synaptics Touch Pad Driver
18 TI Card Reader ---------------------------------------------------------i have it , it is named "Flash Media Driver"
19 UPEK Finger Print ---------------------------------------------------unavailable for dld
20 Chicony Camera ---------------------------------------------------------i have it , it is named "webcam driver"
21 Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager (AHCI) ---------------------------i have it but it says i don't have the hardware for this driver
22 iMSM.reg ---------------------------------------------------------------unavailable for dld
23 TOSHIBA Software Modem ---------------------------------------i have it
24 Atheros Wireless LAN Driver ---------------------------------------number 24, 25, 26 are all in driver named "Wireless Lan Driver"
25 Intel Golan Wireless LAN Driver-------------------------------------
26 Intel Kedron Wireless LAN Driver
27 Bluetooth Monitor -------------------------------------------------------i have it
28 Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba --------------------i have it
29 Atheros Client Utility --------------------------------------------------number 29 and 30 both have to be installed ? they are with the same name "Wireless Lan Client Manager"
30 Intel PROSet Utility
31 TOSHIBA Assist --------------------------------------------------------i have it
32 TOSHIBA Hotkey Utility --------------------------------------------i have it
33 TOSHIBA Accessibility--------------------------------------------------i have it
34 TOSHIBA Hardware Setup Utility --------------------------------i have it
35 TOSHIBA Supervisor Password --------------------------------i have it
36 TOSHIBA Fn-esse -------------------------------------------------unavailable for dld
37 TouchPad ON/OFF Utility -------------------------------------------i have it
38 TOSHIBA Controls (6 button)
i have two : "Controls" and "Controls Driver". Do i install both ? In which order ?
39 TOSHIBA Power Saver------------------------------------------------i have two with this name in the toshiba dld page. Which one and in which order ?
40 TPS init
what is this ? TPS=Toshiba Power Saver ?
41 TOSHIBA Zooming Utility -------------------------------------------i have it
44 TOSHIBA ConfigFree--------------------------------------------------i have it
45 TOSHIBA SD Memory Utilities -------------------------------------i have it
46 TOSHIBA PC Diagnostic Tool -------------------------------------i have it
47 CD/DVD Drive Acoustic Silencer -------------------------------i have it
48 InterVideo WinDVD5---------------------------------------------------unavailable for dld
49 TOSHIBA Disc Creator ------------------------------------------unavailable for dld
50 TOSHIBA Direct Disc Writer ------------------------------------unavailable for dld
51 Adobe Reader ------------------------------------------------------unavailable for dld
52 Satellite Wall Paper (wide)------------------------------------------unavailable for dld
53 MRK File Tool ------------------------------------------------------unavailable for dld
55 Norton Internet Security 2007 ------------------------------------unavailable for dld
56 TOSHIBA User's Manual Vista version(Dummy for Evaluation)-----------------i have XP, so don't need this
57 TOSHIBA Recovery Disc Creator ------------------------------unavailable for dld
58 TOSHIBA Recovery Disc Creator Launcher--------------------unavailable for dld

So, the problems are at: 16,17, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40.
Thank you.
Chad

Posted: 10-Jun-2009 09:11   in response to: florin_pf in response to: florin_pf

so i need to install every name of driver or utility that appears twice with the same name but made by different companies ?
NO!!! Only the touchpad needs the both drivers from different companies because both drivers are needed for different settings!

As far as I know this notebook model uses Intel Wlan card; so install just only Intel Wlan driver and ignore the Atheros WLan driver!

If you would check the “More info” (on the right) on the Toshiba European driver page then you would get more details about the single drivers and tools available on the page.
The TPS init is not downloadable.
There are two Toshiba Power Saver packages for download; driver and utility. Install firstly the driver then Utility!

i have two : "Controls" and "Controls Driver". Do i install both ? In which order ?
The same like Power Saver!!! Install firstly the driver then Utility!
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved