Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite L350-12N - Beeps when booting
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 05-Apr-2009 11:44 Last Post By: castironwidow
castironwidow

Satellite L350-12N - Beeps when booting
Posted: 04-Apr-2009 23:16

Hi there,

I bought this as a reconditioned laptop, and I'm having trouble getting it to boot. When it's switched on, it shows the welcome to Toshiba screen where you can press function keys to enter the setup screens, then the screen goes black, makes a continuous beeping noise, and goes no further. It doesn't load the operating system.

I've tried restoring the operating system from the hard drive as instructed in the manual, but the same fault remains. Is this a known indicator of a hardware or software fault?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Silas

Re: Satellite L350-12N - Beeps when booting
Posted: 05-Apr-2009 10:15   in response to: castironwidow in response to: castironwidow

Hello

To be honest I still don’t understand what you are doing exactly. Do you use F8 at start up to enter advanced boot options or what?

Have you created recovery DVD as recommended by Toshiba reminder? If yes you can try to install OS again using this recovery media.

Anyway, enter BIOS settings at start up and set it to default settings. Is HDD recognized properly in BIOS settings?

At the end I must say it is not easy to say what is wrong there. Please check this several things and let us know if the HDD is recognized properly or what happen if you try to install OS using original recovery media.
castironwidow

Re: Satellite L350-12N - Beeps when booting
Posted: 05-Apr-2009 11:44   in response to: castironwidow in response to: castironwidow

Hi,

If we just switch it on and leave it to it's own devices, it reaches the toshiba screen, then the screen goes black and it makes the loud beeping noise. It sounds like separate beeps back to back with no gaps. It doesn't load the operating system.

We did manage to install the operating sytem by interrupting the normal boot sequence by pressing F8 and selecting Windows Vista. By doing this 2 or 3 times, Vista installed and launched as we would expect. At it's final restart during setup, it booted and launched without beeping.

This morning, I switched it on, and it's beeping again! In an effort to stop the beeping, I pressed F8, and it took me to the logon screen! I entered my details, and it launched windows as you would expect. This surely is not normal!

We seem to nave no option to enter the bios settings.

We've restarted it once or twice since, and it's started up just fine, so it seems to be in intermittent fault.

We haven't made a recovery disk yet, as last night we couldn't get that far! We used the HDD recovery.

Is this looking like a hardware fault we need to get the vendor to sort? Are there any known reasons for this beep? It sounds like a warning beep.

Thanks for your help!
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved