Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite A210 - Can't boot and how can I save my data?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 1 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 27-Mar-2009 10:50 Last Post By: Raver
snowmonkey

Satellite A210 - Can't boot and how can I save my data?
Posted: 27-Mar-2009 10:05

Hi, after installing some spyware software on my vista A210 (spysweeper) I rebooted my laptop, on the restart it went straight to the boot manager and instructs me to insert my recovery disk and follow the instructions effectively. The only options I have with this disk is to format my hard drive, it seems to indicate that it will erase everything (would that include things on my partitioned drive?).

Is there no way to start the PC in safe mode? I have tried using the F8 key, but could only get to the safe mode menu using the recovery disk to boot my machine. So when I selected start windows in safe mode it loaded the disk instead.

Does this sound like a familiar problem, if so does anyone know how I can restore last weeks settings without accessing windows?

Will I have to swallow it and format my drive, on the partition I have some photos, etc that I haven't backed up yet from a trip last week so I only want to do this as a last resort?

Would I be able to go and buy a copy of vista and fix it via the CD? My laptop came with windows vista installed but no windows disk.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks.
Raver

Re: Satellite A210 - Can't boot and how can I save my data?
Posted: 27-Mar-2009 10:50   in response to: snowmonkey in response to: snowmonkey

If you are not able to go in the advanced boot menu by F8 you can’t start in safe mode. This is fact.
I think the only way is to reinstall Vista.

The reason why the laptop came without installation disk is because on the HDD is on the second partition an folder called “HDDRecovery”. This folder contains the factory settings and you can restore it if you go in the advanced boot menu, repair my computer and then you can select the Toshiba recovery function.
Furthermore you always get a reminder message that you should burn this image on a DVD:
Important INFORMATION

your system is equipped with hard disk recovery system. if you need to repair
your computer by restoring it to original factory state, you can do it directly
from harddisk (press F8 when you boot your computer, choose "Repair your computer"
and follow the menue instructions) or create a bootable Recovery Disc Medium for this purpose.

Toshiba recommends you to create Recovery Disc Medium using the "Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator" to ensure
hat you are able to restore your computer to the original factory installed state, even if your computer
gets seriously damaged

However, now it’s too late to burn the recovery disk.
In your case I would order a recovery disk from Toshiba directly. Then you can reinstall the notebook and the Toshiba disk contains already all drivers and tools.
Here you can order it: https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

If you use the Toshiba recovery disk the whole HDD will be formatted. You should backup your data before you do this.
For this you can buy an external HDD case. Remove the HDD from the notebook, put it in the case and connect it to an other PC or notebook. Then you are able to save your data.

I hope I could help you.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved