Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
External Toshiba 320 GB Harddisk takes 3 minutes to spin up
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 14-Feb-2009 17:32 Last Post By: Chad
Martijn678

External Toshiba 320 GB Harddisk takes 3 minutes to spin up
Posted: 01-Feb-2009 21:40

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I bought my external Toshiba 320 GB harddisk in 2006, it is USB 2.0. It worked fine untill a week ago. Everytime I want to use it, I turn it on with the on switch at the back of the drive. The blue light goes on and then... nothing.

After some minutes (it varies between 3 and 10) the drive suddenly makes a starting up sound (spinning up?) and the drive gets recognized by Windows. I use Windows XP Service Pack 3. Some times when I also turn on my second external drive it als gets automatically recognized, sometimes not.

After it gets recognized, the drive works perfectly without errors.

I have looked in the event viewer of windows, no errors or warnings there. When I reboot Windows the drive does not get recognized immediately (also takes some 3 minutes). I tried end tasking some tasks to see if there were programs "blocking" the drive, but that would not help.

Does anyone have some hints for me what I can try more? Or maybe had the same problem and solved it somehow?
Akuma

Re: External Toshiba 320 GB Harddisk takes 3 minutes to spin up
Posted: 06-Feb-2009 00:22   in response to: Martijn678 in response to: Martijn678

Does the External HDD have a second USB Connector? Some adapter need two USB connectors plugged in to get sufficient power from the PC.

If the PC only outputs 800ma per USB port, and the HDD needs 900ma, the drive will have problems spinning up and may constantly reset itself.

Test the HDD on a Desktop PC (use the ports at the rear). Desktop PC's have more powerful USB ports.
Lars_3

Posted: 06-Feb-2009 07:50   in response to: Martijn678 in response to: Martijn678

Hi!

Have you connected the HDD to the same PC or laptop as before?
As Akuma said, test it on an other PC.

If you have an other USB cable you use for test.

Bye
Martijn678

Posted: 13-Feb-2009 20:41   in response to: Lars_3 in response to: Lars_3

Hi, I use a pc to connect my External drive to. The drive only has one USB connector, the power comes not from USB, but from an powerconnector (which is of course plugged in). After the drive has spun up, the drive works perfectly allright.

I used this drive with the same computer for about 2 years now, without any problems.

Anyone else got some suggestions I can look into?
Chad

Posted: 14-Feb-2009 17:32   in response to: Martijn678 in response to: Martijn678

Looks a little bit like hardware HDD issue.
Maybe you should run some diagnostic tests.

Check it with a HDD diagnostic application like for example the Hd Tach or HD Tune.

Google simply for this software… I think they are free.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved