Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
GPS Fully operational on Satellite Pro S300 with F3507g card
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 20 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 02-Jun-2010 11:47 Last Post By: pab567 Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Philip_l

GPS Fully operational on Satellite Pro S300 with F3507g card
Posted: 24-Jan-2009 09:40
Hi

Some good news. I have the GPS fully working on the Toshiba Satellite Pro S300 with F3507g 3G card. I would think the steps to make it operational will work on any Toshiba laptop with the same card.

It requires new 3G drivers from Toshiba for the card which exposes the COM7 GPS port, some trickery with the COM port to get the card outputting location data (this would have been done by an application from Toshiba if they were supporting GPS), then it will work with any application that understands GPS.

I've used Earth Bridge to check it is working and this enables tracking on Google Earth, see image here (note I've blanked out my exact location as it pinpoints my front door). This signal was achieved with the laptop by a window.

What I plan to do is make a small application to enable or disable the GPS receiver and will post up some instructions on how to set it all up, which is quite easy other than the Com port trickery which hopefully I can handle with a small free program.

Regards

Phil

Message was edited by: Philip_l
sascha

Re: GPS Fully operational on Satellite Pro S300 with F3507g card
Posted: 24-Jan-2009 11:56   in response to: Philip_l in response to: Philip_l
Hello Philip

Thank you very much for this thread. It is really interesting stuff and it will be interesting to have a little bit longer and more detailed report about this. If you have some time please do this for this nice community.

I just hope the moderator will pay attention about this and maybe offer you more space or even separated category for people like you.
It will be great to have a kind of BLOGs here.

Anyway, respect for your work and I hope to hear more about such interesting themes.

Good luck!
Philip_l

Posted: 24-Jan-2009 15:19   in response to: sascha in response to: sascha
Hi

Thanks for the support.

I'm currently working on a small application to enable/disable GPS and will hopefully have it sorted out in a week.

It's an added bonus to the Satellite Pro S300 as of course it isn't sold with GPS capabilities!

Regards

Phil
Philip_l

Posted: 01-Feb-2009 20:06   in response to: Philip_l in response to: Philip_l
Hi

Still working on the application which is almost complete, just needs some testing and a few tweaks but it does work.

Regards

Phil

korenisko

Posted: 02-Feb-2009 16:30   in response to: Philip_l in response to: Philip_l
Hallo Phil,

I have interest about your gps enabler app.

It is very good, ....
korenisko

Posted: 07-Feb-2009 21:47   in response to: Philip_l in response to: Philip_l
How about the application? Any news?
Philip_l

Posted: 08-Feb-2009 17:10   in response to: korenisko in response to: korenisko
Hi

Here we go, first version of the Toshiba GPS Enabler:

Please note you will need:

1) To install the latest BIOS update available for your laptop. For the Toshiba Satellite Pro S300 this is version 1.70 available here

2) Install the latest Toshiba F3507g drivers from here

3) A SIM card must be present for the GPS to work, it doesn't matter if the SIM card is enabled or not for 3G, just that one is required for the card to come to life.

The Toshiba GPS Enabler Version 1.0 is available at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SD9Z08CL just run to install.

Once 1 and 2 are done and a SIM card is installed, run the GPS Enabler and click the Start button. After a few seconds the status will change to "Waiting for a fix...". Please note you need your laptop outside for a fix or very near a window that has a good view of the sky. It can take 10 to 30 minutes for the first fix and may not get a fix in doors.

For better information and integration with Google Earth, download the Earth Bridge application. Set the GPS Com port in the application to listen to COM7.

Once you have enabled the GPS you can exit out of the Enabler and the GPS port will continue to stream data. You may use any GPS application, just set it for COM port 7.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Phil

null
korenisko

Posted: 09-Feb-2009 05:36   in response to: Philip_l in response to: Philip_l
Hello,
yesterday, I downloaded app. Checked, that it realy works. I try it on road to my firm.
My laptop is Tecra A10-11M.
Very thank you!!!
korenisko

Posted: 09-Feb-2009 07:42   in response to: korenisko in response to: korenisko
So,
I have Vista, on my laptop, in Advanced settings, control com ports are: COM 4, COM 6.
Sometimes,, when click to Start GPS, program says, that modem is disabled. But, I click again and then working.

On road to my work, gps find 1.satelite.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Message was edited by: korenisko

korenisko

Posted: 09-Feb-2009 12:55   in response to: korenisko in response to: korenisko
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!

)

On road to home. Navigation app is Route 66 2003. GPS is enabled via virtual COM port 2, because Route can handle Com ports 1-6. :-).
As shown in pictures, GPS shows the location a little outside the actual location. Gps is little slowed down. MiniGPS on frst picture receiving GPS data directly from COM7, and is too better then Route 66 via virtual com port 2.
To navigation via town is too slow, but, for detection of current position and little navigation is super, fine.
GPS works for about a low frequency, 1Hz or so, therefore, the position of renewing slowly...

Thats all for now...
Philip_l

Posted: 09-Feb-2009 17:40   in response to: korenisko in response to: korenisko
Hi

Good to hear it is working.

If you want to get the data out quicker you can set the sample rate to stream, by default it is set to sample very 5 seconds, maybe that will help speed things up a little bit, or maybe you have already tried this?

As for the enabler sometimes saying the modem is unavailable is probably just a timing issue, sometimes it takes a while for the GPS to respond and the software is giving up too early, so I will look at tweaking that.

Regards

Phil
korenisko

Posted: 09-Feb-2009 19:02   in response to: Philip_l in response to: Philip_l
OK. tomorrow try this. If laptop fix gps signal. :-)
About modem error, this is no big problem.
korenisko

Posted: 10-Feb-2009 15:27   in response to: korenisko in response to: korenisko
From work to home.
I set Sample Rate in advanced setings to "stream". It was better, then yesterday. It was going smoothly as real.

But, Toshiba GPS enabler says, that Singal is Very Poor. Hm, where Toshiba give modem f3507g?
And antena for gps? Probably gps havent antena.
Philip_l

Posted: 10-Feb-2009 21:21   in response to: korenisko in response to: korenisko
Hi

There is an update to the Toshiba Wireless Manager that now includes a GPS option to enable or disable GPS, so this can be used in place of my GPS Enabler.

The new wireless manager is here, it has been posted for their new Netbook which uses the same card and I suspect they will sell the Netbook as having GPS. This software works just fine on other laptops that have the same card.

To turn GPS on and off from the Wireless network manager click the View menu then GPS at the bottom.

Regards

Phil

Australia_1

Posted: 27-Mar-2009 17:34   in response to: Philip_l in response to: Philip_l
Hey Phil,

tried it as you wrote. Unfortunately it did not work! Maybe you are able to help.

I get following message when I start the Toshiba GPS Enabler:

The GPS did not respond correctly to the request to start streaming data, please check the port is specified correctly

and with changed settings:

The modem is not responding to commands. Please check the the settings and try again – I guess this means that I have set ports wrong?

The computer is using com port 6 instead of 7. I made the changes in the enabler but still no change.

Any suggestions to get the gps started?

Tried the Ericsson Wireless Manager Link: ec400g and it works for broadband internet access very well. Noticed some problems with the Toshiba updates - disconnecting after a while... . When trying to enable GPS I did not get any response (More options within the *Ericsson Wireless Manger *- There is a button to enable and disable GPS). Left the Computer outside for an hour but nothing. Seems to be a similar or possibly the same problem as with Toshiba GPS Enabler.

Thanks for your help

Pat

Toshiba Tecra R10 - Toshiba F3507g

Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums