Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite U405D-S2850
Cannot wake up from sleep properly
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 21-Sep-2008 08:52 Last Post By: ljfong
ljfong

Satellite U405D-S2850: Cannot wake up from sleep properly
Posted: 02-Sep-2008 02:45

Hi,

My U405D goes to sleep and can only wake up properly if it does not sleep for too long. Too long as in more than 15 minutes or so. If the laptop has slept for too long, the laptop wakes up, goes to the waking routine (whirring sound), then stops with blank screen. All the lights on the laptop are on, except the light that is above the touch pad. In the blank screen state, nothing is responsive and I have to hold down the power button to restart the laptop. I recently upgraded the BIOS to version 1.5 from version 1.3 that came with the laptop hoping the problem is fixed with BIOS update but the problem remains. I know if the wake up is successful if the light above the touch pad is on. Any idea or similar experience? The laptop is running Windows Vista Home Premium SP 1.

Thanks.
kody

Re: Satellite U405D-S2850: Cannot wake up from sleep properly
Posted: 02-Sep-2008 07:13   in response to: ljfong in response to: ljfong

Perhaps a bad Printer or USB driver was installed? If you installed any new devices or software, try uninstalling them and see how that goes.

Also update the Toshiba drivers, check for new versions of the Display driver, TVAP, Sound, etc..
ljfong

Posted: 03-Sep-2008 17:12   in response to: kody in response to: kody

No, I have not installed any new software. I am using the Vista installation that came with the laptop. Just did a bit more testing and found out that the laptop can wake up properly if it sleeps up to 6 minutes, but if I let it sleep to 9 minutes, it fails. So somewhere between 6 and 9 minutes, something fails. The laptop is still within 90-day return period. I have been reading up a lot on Vista sleep-wake problem in general and it seems that Microsoft still can't get ACPI right with Vista. I tend to think it should not be a hardware problem though right?
Horwath

Posted: 03-Sep-2008 17:19   in response to: ljfong in response to: ljfong

In my opinion there is definitely no hardware problem. If I am remembering well such issues were present in the past and mostly it was fix with BIOS updates or some patches.

If you have an US notebook model I recommend you to visit http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp . There you can find useful support updates. Please check also “Ask Iris”. Maybe you can find there some technical document with possible solution to this.
ljfong

Posted: 04-Sep-2008 02:15   in response to: ljfong in response to: ljfong

Just did a search on Iris, and I found only two articles related to U405D, one was about initial production BIOS and the other about 1.5 BIOS update. Well, I think I'll wait it out on this one until Toshiba or Microsoft do something more. I have set the machine to not sleep for now. Other than the sleep problem, I haven't found anything problematic so far. Thanks for all the responses.

Hong
ljfong

Posted: 21-Sep-2008 06:07   in response to: ljfong in response to: ljfong

Recently Toshiba just released another ACPI Flash BIOS update, that is of version 1.70. The version seems to have fixed the sleep problem, and now the U405D can wake up reliably all the time and the unit wakes up much faster too. The BIOS update can be downloaded from Iris, just search for U405D.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved