Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite Pro A300 PSAJ1E
Touchpad not recognised using Win XP SP2
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 23-Feb-2009 20:39 Last Post By: Zelator
Duckfather

Satellite Pro A300 PSAJ1E: Touchpad not recognised using Win XP SP2
Posted: 31-Jul-2008 13:26

Hi all

I've just received a Satellite Pro A300 PSAJ1E, which came pre-loaded with Vista. It also came with an XP SP2 'Product Recovery' CD, which I've had to use because of some work software compatibility issues with Vista.

Unfortunately, everything works fine apart from the Touchpad, which isn't recognised by XP at all (no entries, error or otherwise, in the device manager).
The XP 'Recovery' CD has installed Alps drivers and a Toshiba Touchpad utility (for turning it on and off), so it looks like it's supposed to work.

It's enabled in the BIOS (which I've also flashed to the latest version, just in case) and is enabled in the software. I've also rebuilt the laptop using the 'Recovery' CD (the Touchpad also isn't recognised by booting to the 'Recovery' CD which I assume uses WinPE).

It did work on Vista, so it shouldn't be a hardware issue.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Chad

Re: Satellite Pro A300 PSAJ1E: Touchpad not recognised using Win XP SP2
Posted: 31-Jul-2008 13:40   in response to: Duckfather in response to: Duckfather

Hi buddy

Well… in your case I would recommend accessing the device manger and to remove the touchpad from the device list.

Then visit the Toshiba European driver page, choose your notebook model, Win XP OS and download the Alps Electric and Synaptics touchpad driver.

Install the both drivers, reboot the notebook and check if your touchpad would work correctly.

Good luck
Duckfather

Posted: 31-Jul-2008 13:53   in response to: Chad in response to: Chad

Unfortunately, the Touchpad doesn't even appear in the device manager. It's just not recognised at all. There's not even an unknown device in there or any devices with errors.

I've tried going to the Toshiba European driver page and have downloaded and installed both drivers. Still no joy. It remains persistantly invisible in the device manager. The Synaptics driver even says during install that it cannot work if the touchpad itself isn't recognised by the OS.

The laptop has been re-booted and the BIOS re-checked for the touchpad being enabled so much it must be getting a persecution complex :-P
Chad

Posted: 31-Jul-2008 14:57   in response to: Duckfather in response to: Duckfather

That’s strange…
Try to access the BIOS and set it to the default settings. Save the changes too.
Then check if the pointing device was enabled in the BIOS.
Maybe it helps.
Duckfather

Posted: 31-Jul-2008 15:16   in response to: Chad in response to: Chad

Tried that and still no joy.

Resetting to defaults enables the touchpad in the BIOS, but it's still not recognised by the OS. Done this three times just to make sure.

I'm confused :-(
Chad

Posted: 31-Jul-2008 15:20   in response to: Duckfather in response to: Duckfather

This is really strange… I’m slowly out of idea… maybe you should try to reinstall the XP OS using the own Microsoft Windows XP CD.
Check if the touchpad would appears in the device manager as unknown device or as touchpad after the installation of the mentioned drivers.
Duckfather

Posted: 01-Aug-2008 10:11   in response to: Chad in response to: Chad

Update : It helps if you 'view hidden items' in Device Manager :-(

For some reason, XP decided to hide failed items!

I can now get to it to update the drivers etc, but it gives me error 10, this device cannot start when I update the Alps driver with the latest from Toshiba. Installing the Synaptics driver from Toshiba simply replaces the Alps driver and gives error 24 (I think), device doesn't exist or not all the drivers have been installed.

Deleting, re-detecting and re-installing gives the same errors.

Any ideas?
Eldorado

Posted: 01-Aug-2008 10:51   in response to: Duckfather in response to: Duckfather

Hi

The errors in device manger don’t said much.
The error 24 appears always if the device does not work properly, or does not have all the drivers installed.
The same reason causes the error 10.

It’s very strange that there are some problems with the touchpad… it looks more like an hardware issue but as Chad already said, it would be interesting to know if the same touchpad issue would be present using an fresh XP OS.
Duckfather

Posted: 01-Aug-2008 11:06   in response to: Eldorado in response to: Eldorado

I agree. Unfortunately, I don't have access to any fresh XP installation media and can't spare the work time to rebuild the laptop yet again :-(

I tend to rule out a hardware failure though, as it worked under Vista out of the box. I can't roll it back to Vista either, as some of the software I need to do my job simply dies under Vista.
KDOS

Posted: 12-Sep-2008 21:08   in response to: Duckfather in response to: Duckfather

Sounds like the same problem I have now and have and before. I was able to fix it with a program I downloaded from Toshiba that was specificly made for enabling the touch pad after doing a Vista downgrade.

But Ive been looking for days and can't seem to find it again.
Zelator

Posted: 20-Feb-2009 10:55   in response to: KDOS in response to: KDOS

I am having the same trouble with the touch pad showing as a hidden device in device manager and also i have to start up then put into standby ....then imediatly start back up for the keyboard to stay active .

The program you refer to would be good if you could find it again ..............................this happened tomy Equium M50 with XP home on it ,after an update from microsoft from ideacom .I have clean installed my note book and now i cant get the touchpad to install and work .

Olease please please find that program

Zelator

Posted: 23-Feb-2009 20:39   in response to: Duckfather in response to: Duckfather

For anyone looking for the utility to enable touchpad that is spoken of in this thread it is on the download site under Sattalite M55 series.............................i think the 18th download .

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=1060473&rpn=PSM50U&modelFilter=M50+%28PSM51U%29&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663&selModel=1060473%7CPSM50U#

pasted the page address for anyone looking for it .

Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved