Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 31-Jul-2008 07:59 Last Post By: Gantz
mraussie

Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
Posted: 13-Jan-2008 10:56

Hello.

I have a problem and I have looked for days on Google, other forums etc. My problem is this that my Chicony USB 2.0 webcam is not working.

It is not like other problems where it is locked to other applications. With me I can not reinstall it. I have tried countless restarts, uninstalling the camera and restarting then waiting for the computer to automatically reinstall the hardware (which it tries to).

It constantly comes up with this error:

“The driver installation for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for windows 95 or later.”

I have a Satellite M200 laptop. I try to update the drivers but it tells me they are update. What should I do?
Jack Black

Re: Chicony USB camera driver problem on Satellite M200
Posted: 17-Jan-2008 13:35   in response to: mraussie in response to: mraussie

Hi

I think you are talking about the external USB webcam and not about the internal webcam which is included into some notebook series.

So in first case you should check the webcam installation instruction.
Every 3rd party manufacturers provides an own device drivers and installation instruction.

In my case I had to install firstly the webcam driver and then after new reboot I could connect the webcam to the USB ports.
Then a new device was recognized and the installation finished.
Ivan25

Posted: 17-Jan-2008 15:08   in response to: mraussie in response to: mraussie

Hello

Sorry but the whole story is a little bit strange for me. I have also laptop with built-in Chicony webcam and it works perfectly.

Can you please tell me why you want to install webcam driver? Have you noticed some problems? Notebook is delivered with “factory settings” and cam is installed properly.

I can not imagine you have this problem from the first day. It will be very nice if you can explain why the webcam does not work anymore.
mraussie

Posted: 18-Jan-2008 02:38   in response to: Jack Black in response to: Jack Black

No I am talking about the built-in webcam in my m200 series laptop. I have tried uninstalling the webcam and turning it back on to reinstall the camera and that is where the problem lies.

Message was edited by: mraussie
mraussie

Posted: 18-Jan-2008 02:52   in response to: Ivan25 in response to: Ivan25

In reply to your query, I made a rash decission to uninstall the driver for the webcam because it was constantly being locked by an unknown device. This was the advice I had previously been given for the issue to see if it would solve it. The problems came about thereafter when I was trying to reinstall the drivers. This is when the error:
"The driver installation for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for windows 95 or later."
came up.

Further more i cant find anywhere what the device model is (so i can not find a driver on the chicony website) nor does ANY of the drivers on their website actually work in the first place (i was going to download them and try by trial and error).
I have also tried to update the drivers using vista's normal functions but it says they are up to date.

If i could find out what the device was (and find the drivers) or if toshiba could update me with the actual drivers i think thats the only way i can fix it.
mraussie

Posted: 24-Jan-2008 15:15   in response to: mraussie in response to: mraussie

can nobody help me with a solution?
Jack Black

Posted: 24-Jan-2008 15:31   in response to: mraussie in response to: mraussie

I don’t understand this.
The notebook was delivered with the preinstalled Toshiba image which contains the OS, drivers, utilities and additional software.
All these parts were tested and should functions.

I think the best way to get the webcam working is the usage of the Recovery CD.
Try to reinstall the OS again and check the functionality.
goy

Posted: 22-May-2008 03:21   in response to: Jack Black in response to: Jack Black

I have the same problem. I try to update the cam and now it does not work I have a Toshiba M200 Satellite can you give me the download link for the correct cam driver,

Do you mean install the system again and loose and my program and stuff?
Carlysc

Posted: 10-Jul-2008 01:18   in response to: mraussie in response to: mraussie

Hi all,

I have a U305 and have the exact same problem: my webcam is locked by another application according to the error message, but nothing elses is running.

I have tried to send Microsoft an email for the hotfix. I received the hotfix but to no avail. I tried to uninstall the driver, same result. Finally I intalled Vista SP1 and it has not, repeat has not, fixed my issue.

I went to a lot of forums and a lot of us have this problem but I could not find a valid solution.
Do you know a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance
kody

Posted: 14-Jul-2008 03:21   in response to: Carlysc in response to: Carlysc

I found an updated Chicony driver, give this a try (Vista): http://203.56.127.6/driver_download/Public//p2_all/ChiconyWebcam_v1.7.175.0123.exe

Also, try this hotfix: KB934374 if you don't have Vista SP1 installed. Apparently this hotfix fixes a few issues with webcams.

Its also a good idea to update your software that uses the webcam, such as MSN Messenger. The updated versions may contain bug fixes related to webcams.
c.garegnani

Posted: 26-Jul-2008 09:50   in response to: Jack Black in response to: Jack Black

Same problem here with integrated chicony 2.0 USB camera

Did try a few things and can't get it to work. It was working fine before, even tried system restore
Beef-Police

Posted: 26-Jul-2008 09:54   in response to: c.garegnani in response to: c.garegnani

The only thing I can tell you is, to uninstall driver and use registry cleaner tool to get rid of any leftovers. Reboot and install drivers again.

Check if SP1 or the above mentioned MS KB is installed properly.
willyan.dalmeida

Posted: 31-Jul-2008 04:43   in response to: mraussie in response to: mraussie

SOLUTION FOR Chicony USB 2.0 CAMERA problem in TOSHIBA

A205-S7464 with Windows Vista Home Premium (English)

(be patient with my poor english, please)

The problem was in the .INF file of the camera driver named "casflr.inf". The "ClassGUID" is incorrect to register the driver. We need correct then manually.

The Problem:

1) Windows Vista Home Premium (ENGLISH) installed

2) After install OS, in Control Panel, Device Manager, appears under Another Devices / Chicony USB 2.0 Camera (to install a driver)

3) Trying to install or update the driver by Web doesn't work and trying by browser my computer for device driver.../ Let me pick from a list of device driver... USB Device... etc... doesn't work too.

4) After Installing the last software device driver from Toshiba Support Page:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/util_camera_26505A.exe

you have a error message, something like "Camera does not work. Restart camera or computer"...

5) And after you installed the Software Driver from Toshiba, trying update the driver on Device Manager, by browser my computer for device driver.../ Let me pick from a list of device driver... USB Device... choosing one of the Chicony USB 2.0 Camera we have a error message like...

"The Register Class for this device were incorrect" (may be different...)

If you have all this "problems" in sequence... you need to do 3 things. One in Windows Vista Register file, other in .INF file of the camera driver and them update the driver again. It's easy.

The Steps...

1) In Start Search digit "regedt32.exe", run the program to edit register.

2) Find this key below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_04F2&PID_B008&MI_00

or

In Edit Menu, click in Find, digit "Chicony USB 2.0 Camera", press enter

you will find a sub-key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_04F2&PID_B008&MI_00\6&298da7b3&0&0000

3) Immediately above of the first KEY, you have another KEY:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_04F2&PID_B008

with another sub-key \SN0001, click them.

4) Find in the right window the GWord named "ClassGUID", click them twice and Copy the value in this window (in my computer is {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000} ), COPY THEN...

Here is the correct class ID to register the device driver for Chicony USB 2.0 Camera. Now we are going to correct it in .INF file. Remember that we had a incorrect class register error message trying to update the driver before.

You need installed the last version of Toshiba Support Software Driver for Chicony USB 2.0 Camera. In my case I download this in:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/util_camera_26505A.exe

5) Then Open the install folder of the software "C:\Program Files\Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba\driver\32bit\" and edit the file "casflr.inf". Just Open to Edit it.

In firsts line you have this:

Version
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=Image
ClassGUID={6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}
Provider=%cec%
CatalogFile=casflr.cat
DriverVer=04/24/2007,6.2.208.0424
;LayoutFile=layout.inf

6) REPLACE the line or COMMENT it (put ";" in the beginning of the line) that contain "ClassGUID":

;ClassGUID={6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}

7) Now put a new line after the older line with the correct class ID that we found in the register

ClassGUID={36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}

You will have something like this:

Version
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=Image
;ClassGUID={6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}
ClassGUID={36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Provider=%cec%
CatalogFile=casflr.cat
DriverVer=04/24/2007,6.2.208.0424
;LayoutFile=layout.inf

Press Crtl+S -> Save the file.

8) Now repeat the update driver steps in Control Panel / Device Manager / Another Devices... Chicony USB 2.0 Camera... right mouse click... Update Driver... Browser my computer for device driver.../ Let me pick from a list of device driver... USB Device...

Will appear 2 or 3 devices to choose, one of these do not have an icon before it and the name is different like "Chicony USB Camera", these is the correct one. Click then! Install it.

An error message of "non sign driver" will appear. Click in Continue.

If a fail message appears, REPEAT THE UPDATE STEPS AGAIN.

Just It!!

Now we have a new "Universal Serial Bus controllers" named Chicony USB 2.0 Camera working!

Willyan D'Almeida from Brazil
willyan.dalmeida@gmail.com

Gantz

Posted: 31-Jul-2008 07:59   in response to: willyan.dalmeida in response to: willyan.dalmeida

Now, this is, what I call a detailed solution! Pretty nice work man :) And thanks for sharing the solution with us as it surely will be useful to one of us.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved