Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Computer freezes when installing bluetooth driver
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 16-Apr-2009 06:24 Last Post By: B-Rex
davidny

Computer freezes when installing bluetooth driver
Posted: 04-Jan-2008 14:41

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi

I've bought a bluetooth USB dongle with toshiba bluetooth software. The installation freezes at the very end of the progress bar for installing the driver. I'm using Windows XP V. 5.1 SP2. Comm ports currently in use are 1,2,3,5 and one called "BT Port" (COM65) which may be blue tooth but may alternatively be something to do with BT broadband which is installed on the machine. In device manager "Network Adaptors" shows "Bluetooth Personal Area Network" and Bluetooth shows RFBNEP, RFBUS, RFCOMM, RFHID and Generic Bluetooth radio. The Bluetooth local COM utility in Control Panel shows no com ports in use. Any ideas?

Thanks

David
deepblue

Re: Computer freezes when installing bluetooth driver
Posted: 07-Jan-2008 14:24   in response to: davidny in response to: davidny

Ensure that the "Bluetooth Monitor" software and any further 3rd party bluetooth stack are not installed.
davidny

Posted: 08-Jan-2008 11:31   in response to: deepblue in response to: deepblue

Hi - thanks for input. Have found and disabled sony ericsson software from my old phone which apparently included a bluetooth monitor on COM 500 (although there was no reference to this anywhere else!).

I removed them completely anyway. Still getting the same result however. Last thing to be reported during the install is "Bluetooth Audio Device (WDM)". The progress bar gets all the way to the end and then it freezes - can't use Task Manager or anything and I have to do a hard reset.

I'm installing Bluetooth USB Adapter V2.0 + EDR off the CD. The dongle is plugged into a USB hub (not into the back of the computer - I've run out of USB connections at the back since they are full of things that can't be plugged into a hub).

The install does seem to recognise the device, however, since on one occasion I didn't have it plugged in. It asked me to insert the device about a third of the way through the install and proceeded ok immediately I plugged it in (and then froze again at the end).

Couldn't find anything regarding a "bluetooth monitor" - is this part of Windows? (no reference to it in Help Files). Getting frustrated as you can imagine!! Is there a more recent version of the stack software that I can download - I've looked right through the Toshiba site but can't find anything obvious.

Many thanks for your reply and hoping you have further suggestions

David
davidny

Posted: 09-Jan-2008 15:28   in response to: deepblue in response to: deepblue

Hi - managed to find a driver from toshiba - V5.10.12. Downloaded and installed. At first it looked promising during initial install then it froze again in the same place. However - and I don't quite know how it did it - the icon eventually appeared and I was able to connect my phone - now I'll see whehther they'll actually talk to eacother! Thanks again for your input and I can only hope bluetooth continues to operate!

Thanks

David
Sidmariner

Posted: 11-Apr-2009 15:50   in response to: davidny in response to: davidny

David,

What exactly did you download to fix this problem?

I am having the same issues. I bought a Garmin Bluetooth GPS and mapping software for my Satellite laptop. I also bought an ioGear Bluetooth USB dongle.

The Bluetooth and GPS works with a couple of other older progams on my laptop including other mapping programmes, but the Garmin programme wants the Toshiba DLL before it will operate. When I try to load the Toshiba Bluetooth stack it locks up at the same place you described.

Pete
B-Rex

Posted: 16-Apr-2009 06:24   in response to: Sidmariner in response to: Sidmariner

I would try to connect and disconnect the Bluetooth adapter or to switch off/on it with Fn+F8 key combination if an internal Bluetooth is used. Maybe the installer detects it after this.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved