Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
'ALERT
System Protection Failure' on my Satellite Pro A120
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 29-Mar-2007 13:44 Last Post By: Somner
Somner

'ALERT: System Protection Failure' on my Satellite Pro A120
Posted: 27-Mar-2007 11:15

Got home today, switched laptop on and straight away I'm confronted with a DOS style screen saying:

ALERT: System Protection Failure
Password =

Anybody know what on earth this means and what the password might be? I've never set any passwords on this, except one for logging onto Windows, which I know it wouldn't be that and it wasn't.
Jayjay

Re: 'ALERT: System Protection Failure' on my Satellite Pro A120
Posted: 28-Mar-2007 17:56   in response to: Somner in response to: Somner

Hi

This notebook has a preinstalled Toshiba Security Assist.
Did you set any passwords with this utility???

I’m not 100% sure what this failure means.
Maybe an HDD password was set.
This would be a worth case because without the HDD password the HDD is inaccessible and unusable…

However, if you didn’t set anything I would recommend either to ask the notebook dealer for the password.
Maybe he has set something or you will contact the ASP in your country
Somner

Re: 'ALERT: System Protection Failure' on my Satellite Pro A120
Posted: 29-Mar-2007 13:44   in response to: Jayjay in response to: Jayjay

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've never used Toshiba Security Assist nor set any passwords of it so I very much doubt this is the cause.

I'm going to be getting a 2.5 to 3.5 connector in the next few days so I can hook my HDD up to my desktop PC and hopefully recovered my data, that is as long as this isn't a HDD problem - I don't think it is.
Again, there has been no password set for the HDD.

I bought the Laptop from eBuyer (UK). I don't think they would have set a password as from what I can tell the Laptop is untouched by them - it was wrapped when I received it. Also, whilst I didn't have to install the OS myself, I had to go through a number of processes at the start which were Toshiba branded, so I assume only Toshiba have set anything.

I rang Toshiba tech support and was asked to do a number of things (remove battery - I even tried the battery out for 24 hours, 27, in fact, as well as pressing F2, F1, ESC, DEL, F12 and some other keys at startup), however nothing worked and I the tech support person told me that I would need to send it in for repair, or take it to an ASP. I've been given a service request number and If I haven't fixed this problem by the time I've received my HDD connectory and backed up my data then I'll be sending the laptop in to Toshiba.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved