Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Cannot boot Windows CD-ROM - Therefore Cannot Fix Windows
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 02-Apr-2007 13:50 Last Post By: lewislite
lewislite

Cannot boot Windows CD-ROM - Therefore Cannot Fix Windows
Posted: 25-Feb-2007 16:36

When I switch on my laptop I'm instantly presented with the screen asking me to select Start Windows Normally, Safe Mode and Last Know Good Configuration. Whichever option I select, it then says "The file Windows\System\Config32\System is either corrupted or missing. Insert the Windows CD-ROM to attempt to repair this file."

OK, so I insert my Windows XP Pro CD-ROM and my laptop simply doesn't load it. I decide to go into BIOS settings (by pressing 'Esc' when the "Toshiba" screen displays) and change boot priority to CD-ROM > HDD > FDD > Lan. This also did not work. How am I supposed to fix my XP installation if I can't even boot the CD-ROM?

Please help! Thanks
Joao

Re: Cannot boot Windows CD-ROM - Therefore Cannot Fix Windows
Posted: 25-Feb-2007 18:10   in response to: lewislite in response to: lewislite

I have posted in other topic where you have described your booting problem but I just to repeat it here.

To force CD/DVD drive to be firs booting device you have three options:
• Press and keep down C button after switching notebook ON
• Choosing boot device after pressing F12 button
• Changing booting order in BIOS

If no one method helps try to use different bootable medias (WXP, Linux). By the same result I suspect there is some problem with optical disc drive. Try to contact service and explain them the situation. I don’t know which notebook model you have and how it looks like with valid warranty but if there is some problem with drive it will be exchanged for free.
lewislite

Posted: 25-Feb-2007 19:58   in response to: Joao in response to: Joao

Thanks for your reply but your solutions, sadly, did not work for me. I have a Tecra 9100.

• Press and keep down C button after switching notebook ON (Made constant beeping sound - Did not work)
• Choosing boot device after pressing F12 button (I tried every option - Did not work)
• Changing booting order in BIOS (I put CD-ROM first - Did not work)

Hmm... Maybe I should have mentioned that it says "Media test failure, check cable" when I select CD-ROM first. Does this mean my CD-ROM drive is broken? I hope not. This laptop is second hand with no warranty. But it shouldn't be broken, it worked perfectly fine before the problem. It played CD's and DVD's just fine before. Besides when I insert the Windows XP CD-ROM, the disk tray lights up as usual and I can hear the disk spinning smoothly as usual, that is though for a few seconds in this case.

As for the 'different bootable medias' I only have Windows XP. I'm afraid I don't have Linux. I do however have a floppy drive. Does this mean I can use a floppy disk as a bootable media? And if it helps, the laptop I'm using to write this has a CD burner (maybe I could burn Linux on a CD?).
lewislite

Posted: 25-Feb-2007 21:29   in response to: lewislite in response to: lewislite

Because it appears I can't boot from CD-ROM, it looks like I'm forced to boot from floppy. On the Microsoft website you can download a file to boot from floppy but it requires 6 floppy disks! I only have 2. However on Bootdisk.com I have learnt you can boot from a USB flash drive! But "it's a new science" and works if your BIOS supports booting from USB Flash. I have the latest BIOS version (1.60) but am unsure wether it supports booting from USB flash. It probably doesn't but in the next BIOS release it should.

http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83f53be9-28fa-40e8-8ec2-631504ef5e26&DisplayLang=en
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved