Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
How to enable the Intel Virtualization Technology on Satellite A100-847?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 05-Feb-2007 08:45 Last Post By: kireto_a
kireto_a

How to enable the Intel Virtualization Technology on Satellite A100-847?
Posted: 29-Dec-2006 15:17

Is there any way to enable the Intel Virtualization Technology on A100-847?
I try to run the VMWare Server to host 64 bit OS but it tells me that the CPU(T7200) VT capable but the VT is not enabled.
Is there any reason not to enable this processor feature?
The same is true for the execution bit.
Barrie

Re: Is there any way to enable the Intel Virtualization Technology on A100-847?
Posted: 29-Dec-2006 15:43   in response to: kireto_a in response to: kireto_a

As far as I know ‘Virtualization’ option, if available, you can find in BIOS settings. I am not 100% sure but this option is not available for Satellite A100.

Like you know it depends on used CPU in the unit (Virtualization must be installed in the CPU). My Qosmio has this option on first page in BIOS settings. I am not processor expert but just to compare, my unit has Intel Core 2 Duo (Merom),Processor T7400.
Joao

Posted: 29-Dec-2006 17:04   in response to: Barrie in response to: Barrie

Hi

If the option is not listed in BIOS I am afraid there is nothing to do. :(
kireto_a

Posted: 01-Jan-2007 10:25   in response to: Joao in response to: Joao

Hi and thank you for the replies.

My processor is core 2 duo T7200 and as far as I know it is the same like T7400 except the speed.

Maybe there should be a bios update which lists this option in the advanced tab or something like that. It is just anoing not to be able to use the all features of a processor I have paid good money for.
fanfy

Posted: 04-Jan-2007 19:21   in response to: kireto_a in response to: kireto_a

I'm very frustrated too because of this A100 limitation. Is there a hope to enable this with a BIOS update or the solution is to buy another notebook?

I must say that I already changed from another A100 model to a 837 one because the battery discharged when shutdown for two or three days. And this 837 model is discharging also in about the same time.

Anyway if someone has a solution to enabling Intel VT please share it here.

Edited by: admin

electrochain

Posted: 05-Jan-2007 01:00   in response to: fanfy in response to: fanfy

I'm very frustrated too because of this A100
limitation. Is there a hope to enable this with a
BIOS update or the solution is to buy another
notebook?

I might be wrong, but I am not aware of the existance of applications that make ALREADY use of the VT feature. Unless you are a VT application developer and/or this option is important to you, why don't you wait a couple more months until more models will be advertised for supporting it?
(Intel® Virtualization Technology requires a computer system with an enabled Intel ® processor, BIOS, virtual machine monitor (VMM) and, for some uses, certain platform software enabled for it. Functionality, performance or other benefits will vary depending on hardware and software configurations and may require a BIOS update. Software applications may not be compatible with all operating systems. Please check with your application vendor.).

I am sure, if there is no hardware limitation to enable VT on behalf of Toshiba, then there will be a release of a capable BIOS version to handle this technology.
kireto_a

Posted: 05-Jan-2007 12:05   in response to: electrochain in response to: electrochain

The current use for the VT is the VMWare Server which is capable of running a 64 bit guest os on a 32 host os BUT the VT must be enabled and the CPU must support EMT64. This means that you don't need to install a the os on clean partition and search for 64 bit drivers for all devices(though there isn't 64 bit drivers only for the FlashReader and the Modem and most of the toshiba googies don't work). I need the 64 bit windows for research at home because I'm a developer.
BTW the bios update which can be downloaded is older then the currently installed on my conputer.
fanfy

Posted: 05-Jan-2007 19:49   in response to: electrochain in response to: electrochain

Thank you for your suggestions. I need this BIOS setting for installing kvm on my laptop (which runs on Ubuntu). I am a developer and this is required for a quick access to a running Win XP virtual system for testing the applications that I work on. Still hoping that there will be a bios update for this or at least somebody explain why and what hardware limitation is for not supporting vt on A100 models.
kireto_a

Posted: 17-Jan-2007 09:40   in response to: fanfy in response to: fanfy

No luck so far. Toshiba should just write somewhere that this is disabled to prevent pepole from making the same mistake Or just more people should start to shout here.
Though there is not much choise elsewhere because, there is a very big threat on this since august 06 on the hp site and no new bios still for them too.

So probably no hope to get this from Toshiba too - Generaly VT is for servers, if you want to test it buy a 30k server and use a krane to drag it to the presentation room to show it to the big boss:). Not on your 1.5k laptop with a jet procesor which is ment be used only for mp3 and IE at home.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved