Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite U840-111 - USB Boot option not seen unless
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 01-Nov-2012 10:46 Last Post By: DaveTosh
DaveTosh

Satellite U840-111 - USB Boot option not seen unless
Posted: 14-Oct-2012 10:25

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Using the Ultrabook I prepared an "emergency" Ubuntu USB boot image (used LinuxLive to transfer a downloaded .iso to a USB device) on an SD card in a USB-SD adaptor (so the card is in a USB socket, not the SD slot).

This worked fine.

But when I restart the Ultrabook using F12 to see the Boot Menu there is no text next to the USB option on the boot menu (and if I select it as the boot option I see Windows boot as normal).

If I select the Bios option on the F12 boot menu to go to the Boot menu in the Bios setup I still don't see any text on the USB line.

If I now re-power and use F12 I now do see "Mass Storage Device" (or something equivalent, can't remember) on the USB line and the machine now boots Ubuntu from it (and I can see the file system on the hard disk).

As far as I can tell, you need to go into the BIOS Setup but not do anything) before you use the F12 Boot menu if you want to boot from a USB device (well this one at least).

This would seem to be a BIOS bug? BIOS Version is 1.4
Paolo30

Re: Satellite U840-111 - USB Boot option not seen unless
Posted: 15-Oct-2012 10:14   in response to: DaveTosh in response to: DaveTosh

Not quite sure if it’s a bug or not.

From my knowledge the USB boot option would not appear in F12 menu until an USB compatible and bootable device would be plugged in.
This means that you have to connect an USB bootable device to the notebook and then have to power up the unit and press F12 to get the menu.

I read also that not all devices might be fully compatible… so it would be really interesting to know if the same issue appears using an USB bootable flash memory stick…You have tried an combination of USB –SD adapter… I could be possible that this is the problem here.
DaveTosh

Posted: 15-Oct-2012 10:40   in response to: Paolo30 in response to: Paolo30

Hi
Well the USB-SD "stick" does work properly in a different PC, and it does boot so I would suggest the USB-SD version is "bootable" and no different to a standard stick, I can't check a standard stick for a few days now, but will try.

I think it is a bug. At the very least there is some inconsistency!
Akuma

Posted: 01-Nov-2012 02:03   in response to: DaveTosh in response to: DaveTosh

Have you tried a different USB port?

Maybe it only works on USB2 ports (the black ports, not the blue ports), or you need to change the USB option in the BIOS from USB3 to USB2
DaveTosh

Posted: 01-Nov-2012 10:46   in response to: Akuma in response to: Akuma

Akuma, Hi, the laptop is now away at college so I can't check for a while. When it next comes back home I'll try to test, FWIW, I think I was using a USB2 port, but can't be sure, Cheers.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved