Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite L755 after BIOS upgrade error - service says not a guarantee case
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question was marked as assumed answered by a moderator.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 03-Jul-2012 16:20 Last Post By: assex
Volderr

Satellite L755 after BIOS upgrade error - service says not a guarantee case
Posted: 16-Mar-2012 19:03

The problem started when Toshiba Tempro program notified me that I need to update bios for my laptop Satellite 755. I downloaded the file from Toshiba site, followed all the instructions. During the process - there was Verify Error. Tried twice. The same result. Decided not to update at all.

But after the next reboot the laptop didn't start. Black screen, cooler working like breathing.
After internet search I found there are hundreds of people with the same issue. So that for sure was not my fault.

As there was no solution for this - the only way was to send laptop to Toshiba service.
I wrote them a letter before, provided all the details, what happened. Also asked whether it would be covered by the warranty. My laptop is still on the warranty, bought it just half a year ago.
Received an email from the service center (Damax AG), that I need to send them my laptop and that it is still on the warranty.

Without any hesitation I sent them my laptop.

After several days I received a note that:
1. It is not a guarantee case as I was updating BIOS. Come on guys, I did write it you before I sent the laptop!!
2. For motherboard repair I need to pay 1350 (!) swiss francs (the price of the new laptop is about 600 swiss francs!!).
3. I can refuse from the repair, but in this case I still have to pay 100 swiss francs for the diagnostics.
Why the hell should I pay for the diagnostics, while the laptop is still on the warranty + it was pretty clear what was the problem as so many people faced that, and Toshiba service for sure shoud be aware of this problem.

What could you advise in this situation?
Here are the threads with the same issue. I'm pretty sure it is the problem on Toshiba development side.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Drivers-and-Utilities/Satellite-L755-S5216-BIOS-2-0-Update-leads-to-quot-VERIFY-ERROR/td-p/203226
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Computer-Troubleshooting/Laptop-L755-dead-after-bios-install-attempt/td-p/205326
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/BIOS-L755-Beware-of-Toshiba-Fix/td-p/270171

Also there were many cases that people wrote it is covered by the warranty - that was one of the reasons I sent it. For example here:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45500
The guy writes: "guarantee-case .. 0€ costs, no data removed, everything allright =)"
How could it be that one service center covers it - the other not?

Also I read the warranty agreement - I didn't find any info that this case is not coverable.
Really frustrated about all this stuff, I'm a student and for sure I don't have extra 1350 francs to pay for this.
Also, I'm really screwed up, as there are research papers which I can not normally finish as all my data on HDD.
Dr.Lamp

Re: Satellite L755 after BIOS upgrade error - service says not a guarantee case
Posted: 16-Mar-2012 21:26   in response to: Volderr in response to: Volderr

Hello

Please don’t understand me wrong but I really don’t know what do you want to read here. This is user-to-user forum and here you will not find some official statement here. All you can do here is to exchange your experience with other people who have the same problem.

I don’t know how many services are listed for your country but try please to contact other service and see if they will tell you the same or maybe is there something now regarding this BIOS issue.

If you will have more info please post it here. It can be useful for other L755 owners.
Volderr

Posted: 17-Mar-2012 16:41   in response to: Dr.Lamp in response to: Dr.Lamp

Thanks for response.

Please don’t understand me wrong but I really don’t know what do you want to read here. This is user-to-user forum and here you will not find some official statement here.

I thought Toshiba representatives are present here. And could comment on the situation.

The main question - what I really interested in - is it really not the guarantee case? Because I saw so many posts that is was fixed for free by Toshiba. I read the warranty agreement - but I didn't find notice that such a case is not covered.

Maybe someone else had similar problems with Toshiba service? And could help with advice.

Maybe there are kind of Europe headquoters - where I can write and they can check on my issue.
Now it all looks like a scam from the Service center side - as initially they said, send it and we will fix it, warranty is applicable. Then, when they got my laptop, they say - no it's not a guarantee case, please, pay even for broken laptop to get back.

Unfortunately this is the only Toshiba service center in my country.
PauPau

Posted: 19-Mar-2012 08:56   in response to: Volderr in response to: Volderr

The main question - what I really interested in - is it really not the guarantee case? Because I saw so many posts that is was fixed for free by Toshiba. I read the warranty agreement - but I didn't find notice that such a case is not covered.

Indeed, the software issues don’t seems to be covered by warranty.
I assume this is also the case with BIOS update.

Not sure if your motherboard is dead, but the motherboard is the most expensive notebook part and motherboard replacement is always a costly affair :(

I found a Toshiba Swiss contact page here… Maybe you can get in contact with the guys and clarify this issue in direct contact with Toshiba.
http://www.toshiba.ch/ch-de/Kontakt/

Good luck
Volderr

Posted: 20-Mar-2012 23:26   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

@PauPau, thanks for your answer.

Indeed, the software issues don’t seems to be covered by warranty.
I assume this is also the case with BIOS update.

I found the latest version of Toshiba warranty agreement on the site (http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/Contents/Toshiba_teg/EU/Others/Services/200808/pdf/EMEA-Limited-Warranty-Complete.pdf), it is written there:
Should the software prove defective, you assume the entire risk as to its quality and performance as well as any costs associated with its servicing, repairing or correction

BTW Service Center gives this as a prove that it is not a guarantee case.
Here everything is written about software, "its" servicing, repairing, correction.
But in the quote they sent me, it is written they were going to replace the motherboard. So the problem is in hardware, not the software and this part of warranty should not be applicable in my case.

motherboard replacement is always a costly affair
Agree, but when the motherboard costs twice more than the new same laptop, it is really weird.
xaver

Posted: 21-Mar-2012 07:23   in response to: Volderr in response to: Volderr

Agree, but when the motherboard costs twice more than the new same laptop, it is really weird.
I agree with you but this is not specific for Toshiba only. The same is by other notebook manufacturers.

I really don’t understand why is mainboard so expensive.
Volderr

Posted: 02-Apr-2012 18:20   in response to: Volderr in response to: Volderr
Helpful
Today I have received my laptop back. Fixed and delivered for free under warranty.
In the document they sent - it is stated, that "Because of bios update" it is not guarantee case, but opposite all the items including motherboard it is stated "Warranty".

Although I still didn't receive any official answer from Toshiba - I'm pretty sure that they contacted with Service center and fixed the problem.

I would like to say "Thanks" to moderators of this forum, who responded operatively and forwarded my complaint to official Toshiba support department.
assex

Posted: 02-Apr-2012 19:57   in response to: Volderr in response to: Volderr

Glad to hear everything is well OK. :)

Good luck!
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)