Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite R830 Random freeze with no way to regain control - full fan speed
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 29-Mar-2012 15:19 Last Post By: assex Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
popi

Satellite R830 Random freeze with no way to regain control - full fan speed
Posted: 08-Mar-2012 10:54

Hi there,
I've been googling around for a bit now, looking for a solution to what could be a material issue.

Randomly my Satellite R830 freezes suddenly and the fan speed run on full speed. This is actually a convenient way to immediately be aware that my computer crashed. Everything is frozen, the only way to get out is to force shutdown via the power button.

I've bumped to the same descriptions on numerous of website for different Toshiba models, back from 2009. It seems the problem is still there! I also read testimony of this problem both for Windows and Linux OS. I'm running a Debian Squeeze, which doesn't detect anything in the log when the crash happens.

Sometime it can be fine for a week, but recently the computer freezes at least once a day, which is not acceptable for a brand new laptop.

I'm getting really concerned whether something will be done soon, or if I should ask for an exchange and pray to be spared. I use my laptop on a daily basis for professional purpose, so I would definetely prefer another solution. I have been waiting for 4 months now, and just update my BIOS 3 days ago from Toshiba website with no noticeable improvement ; the computer crashed 4 times in the last 2 days.

If anyone managed to get over that problem, I would be very thankful for the tip!
PauPau

Re: Satellite R830 Random freeze with no way to regain control - full fan speed
Posted: 08-Mar-2012 12:53   in response to: popi in response to: popi

Hi

One question: do you have an fingerprint reader?

I found this Toshiba document which describes an issue similar to yours.
The issue might be caused by old fingerprint software… you should update this software in case you’ve got an fingerprint reader.

Intermittend hang up or freeze of your machine (with possible high rotation FAN) under Windows 7 - 32 Bit / 64 Bit
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB0C032L0000R01.htm
popi

Posted: 08-Mar-2012 14:11   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

Indeed PauPau, that's the exact same symptoms. However, "unfortunately", I do not have any fingerprint reader.
PauPau

Posted: 08-Mar-2012 14:14   in response to: popi in response to: popi

Hi
As far as I know the same image could be preinstalled so check if the fingerprint software is preinstalled on your system… if yes uninstall this…

PS: did you try to update the BIOS?
popi

Posted: 08-Mar-2012 15:09   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

I could check on the Windows side, but I don't see how it would affect my running Debian. I did update de BIOS recently (as mentioned above).

After reading some more, I've upgraded my linux kernel to 3.2, seems like it solved the issue for some people. Wait and see...
popi

Posted: 12-Mar-2012 17:57   in response to: popi in response to: popi

After a few days, the laptop froze only once so far. I'll keep the thread updated, as I don't really consider it solved since it still froze once, and it already happened before that it worked for a week or so before starting again to freeze and crash.
popi

Posted: 29-Mar-2012 14:49   in response to: popi in response to: popi

Bon, apparemment le problème s'est réglé avec la mise à jour vers le noyau Linux 3.2.0. Je croise les doigts, mais ça à l'air de tenir cette fois !

ooops, sorry, I just said the problem seemed to get fixed with the upgrade to Linux kernel 3.2.0. So far so ggod !

Message was edited by: popi
assex

Posted: 29-Mar-2012 15:19   in response to: popi in response to: popi

Thanks for the feedback.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)