Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Qosmio F60 - Overheating and gaming FPS drops
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 15-Mar-2012 09:29 Last Post By: MisterX
Death_possum

Qosmio F60 - Overheating and gaming FPS drops
Posted: 14-Mar-2012 07:39

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,

My Qosmio F60 gets quite hot, while gaming and idling, for example, while gaming the cores and GPU get up to around 75-85Celsius, I don't know how hot they are while idling, but my fan ALWAYS pumps out hot air, comparing to all my friends laptops, they don't pump out hot heat unless gaming.

Also while gaming, I have been getting FPS drops while playing, even if I used to run a game on high 60FPS, no drops, now it's on low dropping down to about 6 at times.

Please help.
Thanks, Harrison
Silas

Re: Qosmio F60 - Overheating and gaming FPS drops
Posted: 14-Mar-2012 08:09   in response to: Death_possum in response to: Death_possum

Hello

Sorry but here some questions for better understanding:
Do you use original Toshiba preinstalled OS or your own version?
Do you use Toshiba display driver?

While gaming is your notebook placed on the desk?
Are all cooling vents free?
Do you use newest games?

Which power plan do you use while gaming?
Do you use maximum level on game graphic settings?

Have you tried to play with all power and graphic settings to see if the result will be a bit better?
MisterX

Posted: 14-Mar-2012 13:26   in response to: Death_possum in response to: Death_possum

Hi

I assume your cooling ventilators are clogged by dust and debris.
You should try to clean this using compressed air spray.

The FPS drops might be the result of higher temperature.
Why? Because the GPU would be clocked down in order to decrease the heat dissipation.

So clean the fans and check if this helps…
Death_possum

Posted: 14-Mar-2012 19:03   in response to: Silas in response to: Silas

@Silas:
Yes
80% Sure

No, on my lap, on a cooling pad (not on, the power bit broke).
Yes
Some of them are 'New' some are old

A customized balanced
If this question is if I use high level graphics in my games? It doesn't change a thing, as I said a game I used to run on highest @ 60FPS, goes down to 20-30 most of the time, and when fights happen, about 1-8. The only thing putting it on lowest achieves is increasing that 20-30 FPS, to 60.

As above, I have tried the ingame graphics, but not power plan. My problem is I changed nothing in my power or ingame settings, and it started dropping. I don't want to run the game on super low when I used to be able to run it higher.

@MisterX
Well, a little bit, but recently (within the last year, over the last year) I was having freezing problems, so I took the laptop in 3 times, and after 2 weeks (each time) I got it back, saying they had fixed the problem, the first time they replaced the hard drive, and couple of other small bit I can't remember, the second time they replaced some cooling stuff, some ram, and some small bits. The third time they replaced the motherboard, and some small bits, what finally fixed the problem, but what I'm saying is, some of the cooling stuff has been replaced recently.

And I'll try, but I don't really want to be opening up my laptop, but i'll try.
MisterX

Posted: 15-Mar-2012 09:29   in response to: Death_possum in response to: Death_possum

And I'll try, but I don't really want to be opening up my laptop, but i'll try.
You should not disassemble the unit to clean the fans… using compressed air spray should be good enough to keep the fans clean and to get the dust removed. Just blow the air thought the cooling ventilators and this should help to remove the dust
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved