Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Equium A200-15l HDD not showing in boot menu
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 20-Feb-2012 14:26 Last Post By: wizzzzard_1
wizzzzard_1

Equium A200-15l HDD not showing in boot menu
Posted: 20-Feb-2012 13:26

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello all, I have a confusing issue I would love to get some input on...

I recently had to change the video cable in this model, nice simple job without having to extract the whole motherboard. However afterwards the system fails to show the HDD from within the Boot Choice Menu and will not boot to HDD.

The drive is showing up perfectly fine within bios and is fully accessible on another computer.

What is confusing for me is that the work done had nothing to do with the HDD part of the board, the only interaction I had with it was to remove the drive then plug it in again afterwards. My first thought was maybe the solder joint on the SATA connection had become fractured, but then if that was the case it wouldn't show the drive make and model in Bios:?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)
Paolo30

Re: Equium A200-15l HDD not showing in boot menu
Posted: 20-Feb-2012 13:41   in response to: wizzzzard_1 in response to: wizzzzard_1

My first thought was maybe the solder joint on the SATA connection had become fractured, but then if that was the case it wouldn't show the drive make and model in Bios?

Is the HDD listed on the first BIOS page with all the details like HDD size and name?
If yes then this means that BIOS has recognized the HDD properly.

In such case I would try to power up the unit and would press F12
Now the boot menu should appear on the display containing all bootable devices…
Is the HDD listed there?
wizzzzard_1

Posted: 20-Feb-2012 13:47   in response to: Paolo30 in response to: Paolo30

Is the HDD listed on the first BIOS page with all the details like HDD size and name?
YES and this is the source of all my confusion...

it WILL show up in the bios, but WILL NOT show up in the F12 boot menu... :s
Paolo30

Posted: 20-Feb-2012 13:52   in response to: wizzzzard_1 in response to: wizzzzard_1

That’s strange… did you try to set the BIOS to default pressing F9 and saving the changes pressing F10?

To be honest I’m also confused and I think that cable replacement has affected the motherboard.
wizzzzard_1

Posted: 20-Feb-2012 14:26   in response to: Paolo30 in response to: Paolo30

yup, tried to reset the bios to defaults with no change. Have also tried several other drives all with similar outcomes.

As this is an old laptop, some of the time the metal screw fixtures become fractured and come off during disassembly. One of these could have become loose in the motherboard and shorted something on the board (as I found 2 of them knocking about when I re-opened the laptop up)... To me this is the most likly answer as the cable has nothing to do with the drive controller side of the board :( poops looks like this is a scrapper unless anyone else has any ideas?
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved