Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
How to reinstall Windows 7 recovery image?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-Dec-2010 09:53 Last Post By: Nimueh
ankitguptag18

How to reinstall Windows 7 recovery image?
Posted: 23-Nov-2010 03:41

Hi,

I bought a new Toshiba L650 Laptop,
The day I bought the laptop I installed UBUNTU on it and by mistake I used the entire disk for UBUNTU. And I lost the entire windows partition and I didn’t even create a backup disk.

Is there any way I can get back my windows. I have the windows 7 CD key written on the bottom on the laptop. Can I install using some windows 7 CD and use my CD key and still use it?
assex

Re: How to reinstall Windows 7 recovery image?
Posted: 23-Nov-2010 08:05   in response to: ankitguptag18 in response to: ankitguptag18

Hello

I hope my answers will help you, so let’s go:
Is there any way I can get back my windows.
No. after Linux installation or any other own OS version there is no way to install original Toshiba recovery image.
I have the windows 7 CD key written on the bottom on the laptop. Can I install using some windows 7 CD and use my CD key and still use it?
Unfortunately this is not possible. This key belongs to recovery image you got with your notebook and it cannot be used with other Win7 version.

If you want to have original Toshiba recovery image and use notebook with “factory settings” you must order new recovery disc.
You can do this on https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx
Xardas

Posted: 23-Nov-2010 14:17   in response to: ankitguptag18 in response to: ankitguptag18

Hi

So after Ubuntu installation where you lost the Windows 7 version, you need a Toshiba recovery disk to restore preinstalled Windows 7 from Toshiba. There is no option anymore like HDD recovery or something else.

As assex wrote, you can order a recovery disk from Toshiba directly. Therefore follow the link.

Generally speaking you can also install Windows 7 from a standard Microsoft disk but after this you have to install every driver and tool step by step. Everything you can find on official Toshiba page.
ankitguptag18

Posted: 23-Nov-2010 15:04   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

i have no problem installing the drivers and other software. but will my windows be a genuine Windows if i install from a standard windows 7 dvd??
Mike30

Posted: 23-Nov-2010 15:17   in response to: ankitguptag18 in response to: ankitguptag18

If you install it from “standard” disc, and I presume you mean on original Microsoft disc you must activate it. You cannot do this with product key you have at the bottom of your notebook but with legal Microsoft activation key that you must buy.

For me this is not the best solution because this disc costs a lot of money and later you must install all additional stuff like drivers, tools and utilities alone.
For 30 Euro you can order original Toshiba disc with recovery image. This image contains OS, all necessary drivers, tools, utilities and some additional software. Installation is simply and there is nothing you must do when installation is finished.
This version will be activated.

One more thing: you can use this recovery image numerous times and every time it will be activated.
Xardas

Posted: 23-Nov-2010 16:25   in response to: ankitguptag18 in response to: ankitguptag18

Hi ankitguptag18,

but will my windows be a genuine Windows if i install from a standard windows 7 dvd??
If you use the product key that belongs to this installation disk and activate the copy, it will be a genuine Windows version.

But the key on bottom side of your notebook is only for OEM versions and can’t be used with Microsoft disks.
Nimueh

Posted: 07-Dec-2010 09:53   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

Wrong - my notebook came with a german version of Win7 64bit installed, I installed the untouched english Win7 64bit .iso from Microsoft, used the telephone option to activate it and it worked. You just have to make sure that you use the same version of the .iso (Home Premium, Ultimate or whatever) that came pre-installed with the laptop.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved