Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Qosmio E10-102 - Can't boot from CD/DVD
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 18-Nov-2010 14:44 Last Post By: Dr.Lamp Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Napto

Qosmio E10-102 - Can't boot from CD/DVD
Posted: 17-Nov-2010 15:09

Hi,

I have a Qosmio E10-102 Notebook here. The Hard Disk is defect and I have to install the operating system on a new hard disk but I cannot boot from CD/DVD. After the Qosmio Boot Screen it displays "Insert system disk in drive. Press any key when ready...".

When I press F1, I get the ACPI BIOS version 1.5 boot menu, but I only can change date, time and the password. The Boot Priority is HDD -> FDD -> CD and I can't change it. The manual says to hold F12 while Booting, but this has no effect. Even pressing the "c" key doesn't boot the Disk.

I tried do put the hard disk in an other Notebook and install there, but the Windows installation disk detects, that this is no Toshiba Laptop.

Any idea how to solve the problem?
Xardas

Re: Qosmio E10-102 - Can't boot from CD/DVD
Posted: 17-Nov-2010 15:43   in response to: Napto in response to: Napto

Hi Napto,

Is the CD/DVD drive listed in BIOS properly? Can you see the model number of your drive? Usually this should be possible…

And from what installation disk you are boot? Are you using Toshiba recovery disk or Microsoft disk?
Maybe the current disk is scratched…
Napto

Posted: 18-Nov-2010 08:49   in response to: Xardas in response to: Xardas

Hi,

Hard Disk and CD/Drive are listet in BIOS. I want to boot from the Toshiba Recovery disk, but i also tried it with other bootable disk. The Toshiba disk boots in other notebooks without problems, until it detects that it is no toshiba notebook.
Horwath

Posted: 18-Nov-2010 08:55   in response to: Napto in response to: Napto

How you cannot change boot device order?
Is this option “locked” somehow?

The whole story is somehow strange to me. Does this notebook belong to you? Have you bought it as used one?
The Toshiba disk boots in other notebooks without problems, until it detects that it is no Toshiba notebook.
How this can happen? Is this original disc you got with this notebook model?
Is maybe mainboard changed on this notebook?

Please tell us more about notebook itself.
Napto

Posted: 18-Nov-2010 10:38   in response to: Napto in response to: Napto

Hi,

neither F12 nor "C" work. In the Bios (ACPI Bios version 1.5), i only can change date and time. The cursor doesn't jump on the other fields like boot priority.

The disc is the original Toshiba Recovery disc. But even other Boot Discs with Knoppix or something similar don't boot.

The notebook is not mine, i only have to repair it. The owner cannot remember that the mainboard has been changed.

I hope, my english is not too bad ;)
Quad

Posted: 18-Nov-2010 13:15   in response to: Napto in response to: Napto

No, your English is not bad. It is nice you want to repair it but I don’t think there is anything you can do about it.

This is old notebook model and I can imagine optical disc drive is defective.
Napto

Posted: 18-Nov-2010 13:43   in response to: Quad in response to: Quad

Difficult to say, i have put an external disc drive via USB, but it didn`t help. I guess, that there is no USB Support in this early phase of booting. But why he doesn´t let me in the boot menu? As i can read in the manual, the pictures i see below "Qosmio" on the booting screen should be selectable, when i press F12. But this doesn´t work...
Dr.Lamp

Posted: 18-Nov-2010 14:44   in response to: Napto in response to: Napto

If you cannot change it in BIOS settings it must be “locked” somehow and F12 will not work either. There is no sense to have non working option in BIOS but with F12. When this is locked in BIOS you can change just some basic stuff in BIOS but you will not have access to all other advanced options.
If this option should be disabled than on all levels.

Such “locking” will be always made in companies to avoid that people who work on notebooks can change anything and also have influence on preinstalled OS.

The whole story is strange to me. Try to contact Toshiba service and ask for help. They can “unlock” BIOS.

Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved