Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Eqium M40X-189 powers itself down randomly and won't restart easily
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 12-Apr-2010 07:07 Last Post By: Jeka-Ил
9266neal

Eqium M40X-189 powers itself down randomly and won't restart easily
Posted: 11-Apr-2010 18:41

A few days ago my Equim M40X shut itself down while unattended (running from mains power with battery in place). All that was on was the green mains power light. Pressing the start button had no effect. I removed the battery and replaced it - still no joy. Took it to my local computer repair shop - they claimed at first there was nothing wrong, but when I came to collect it would not start. They "reseated power board connector and touch pad connector, and tested 15 times - switches on and off correctly" £25 the poorer I took it home. Next day- same problem. Eventually got it to start, but after 1 minute it shut down. Restarted again and ran OK several hours. Today, would not start. Took the battered out completely - started OK, but shut down after 2 hours or so. I can usually get it going by uplugging the mains and/or the battery, but have no idea how long it will go before shutting itself down.

Please help!!
Jeka-Ил

Re: Eqium M40X-189 powers itself down randomly and won't restart easily
Posted: 11-Apr-2010 18:55   in response to: 9266neal in response to: 9266neal

Hi,

Unfortunately, I think nobody can really help you in this forum. If even in the computer repair shop they didn't fix it well. I advise you to contact the TASP (Toshiba authorized service center), the technicians can help you, as they familiar with Toshiba laptops and can order the damaged part if needed.
PauPau

Posted: 11-Apr-2010 19:18   in response to: 9266neal in response to: 9266neal

Hmmm…. it’s really hard to say what could be wrong…
Usually the notebook shuts down automatically due to the high temperature…

Maybe the cooling modules are clogged by dust and debris… it’s worth to clean the cooling fans and to renew the thermal grease which is placed between the cooling module and CPU…

But this is a job for an ASP technician as mentioned by Jeka…
Therefore get in contact with the local ASP and ask for help!

Good luck
9266neal

Posted: 11-Apr-2010 23:51   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

Thanks, I'll follow up on the cooling - I notice from the forum that this is has been raised before. My cooling fan seems to be running all the time. Is this normal, or is it a sign that dust is clogging things up?
Jeka-Ил

Posted: 12-Apr-2010 07:07   in response to: 9266neal in response to: 9266neal

Clean your computer with the compressed air to blow out the dust from the cooling ventilators. Then check, if runs well. But, I don't think that the problem is because of clogged cooling modules. It can another hardware malfunction
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved