Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Recovery Process for Win 7 on Satellite Pro T110 is very fragile - WARNING
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 24-Feb-2010 23:02 Last Post By: AlanAtEDMI
AlanAtEDMI

Recovery Process for Win 7 on Satellite Pro T110 is very fragile - WARNING
Posted: 24-Feb-2010 07:29

I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite Pro T110 loaded with Windows 7 Professional and was very surprised how fragile the system recovery process was:

1) There is no DVD media with Windows 7 recovery.
2) During the install process you MUST follow all standard options (no extra partitions) if you want to be able to use the recovery partition on the hard drive every again.
3) Using a third-party partition imaging solution to take a snapshot of the drive is a pointless exercise - you will probably not be able to recover it to a state where it can be used.

Personally, I feel that there needs to be a big red piece of paper (or even better, a set of recovery disks) in the box which says something like the following:

If you want to be able to recover the factory default state you MUST follow this process:
1) Install using standard options - DO NOT CREATE ANY ADDITIONAL PARTITIONS
2) Be prepared to wait hours for the system configuration process to complete properly
3) DO NOT connect a network connection during this process
4) Do not touch the keyboard or touch pad unless specifically directed to do so
5) Be prepared for the computer to go through numerous reboot cycles
6) Once complete, the FIRST thing you should do is get a USB DVD drive and use the utility program provided to create a set of recovery disks.
7) DO create a system repair disk - this may be a CD

During my installation process I created a D partition (to allow image backup), then managed to lock off the touchpad and then ended up with a totally dead machine after attempting a system recovery which came up with error F3-F100-0004. Thanks to help from Marcus at Toshiba, Brisbane I was able to obtain a set of recovery disks and get it up and running.

Hope this is of help to someone else and that Toshiba can improve the reliability and stability of the recovery process.
PauPau

Re: Recovery Process for Win 7 on Satellite Pro T110 is very fragile - WARNING
Posted: 24-Feb-2010 15:29   in response to: AlanAtEDMI in response to: AlanAtEDMI

Hi

If you would power up the unit for the first time then you will see that the Win 7 has been already preinstalled and it’s ONLY need to finish the setup process…
This will take some time… however… after the Win 7 installation you can find an preinstalled user manual… most people don’t read this and this is a big mistake…
In user manual you can find all the details which you have mention here in the posting

1) There is no DVD media with Windows 7 recovery.
There is an HDD recovery option available which allows you to recover the unit without the recovery disk… but you can also create an own recovery disk using the preinstalled tool called Toshiba recovery disk creator!

2) During the install process you MUST follow all standard options (no extra partitions) if you want to be able to use the recovery partition on the hard drive every again.
As far as I know Toshiba preinstalled Win 7 is an image and does not allow to change the partitions… you can change this only if you use the Microsoft Win 7 disk and this should be clear…

However, the recovery disk should be created ALWAYS as because there is always an risk that something would go wrong with an HDD or partition…

With reocvery disk you are always on the safe side
AlanAtEDMI

Re: Recovery Process for Win 7 on Satellite Pro T110 is very fragile - WARNING
Posted: 24-Feb-2010 23:02   in response to: PauPau in response to: PauPau

In my case when I first turned on the machine, I was presented with recovery options:
  • select Windows 23/64 bit
  • partition options
  • etc
All of this well before being able to read any preinstalled installation manual - catch 22 scenario - you must follow the right process before being able to read what the right process is! I'm not sure whether this is standard for these laptops or not - I just know this is how I got this one.

I agree absolutely about creating the recovery disks - if I had done that as soon as possible before trying to fix the touch pad lockout problem, then I would have been in a better situation. Of course you need to have a USB DVD drive to do this.

There are a couple of points here:
  • why is the recovery partition so fussy about everything - not being able to save an image, then restore it and have it run correctly in my view is stupid. It means that if you try and do the right thing in creating a second partition for your data, you end up with a recovery partition that doesn't work - little point in having it there.

• as a new user, because the process is so fragile, there needs to be a more obvious warning. I have been using computers for 30 years (my first portable was a Toshiba back in the 80s) and I found the results of the installation process in this case to be unexpected.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved