Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite M40
installing Windows 7 Home Premium
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 01-Dec-2009 23:06 Last Post By: Rob Hoar
Rob Hoar

Satellite M40: installing Windows 7 Home Premium
Posted: 01-Dec-2009 03:46

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my Satellite M40 (PSM40A-03K009) to Windows 7 Home Premium but towards the end of the installation, my notebook reboots and freezes up trying to start Windows 7.

I've rebooted in safe mode and it seems to be getting stuck loading \windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys.

I've tried everything I can think of: running start-up repair on installation disk, installing latest versions of drivers, updating BIOS, reformatting disk, etc but nothing seems to work.

Can anybody help?

Cheers
Rob
Andrej

Re: Satellite M40: installing Windows 7 Home Premium
Posted: 01-Dec-2009 07:49   in response to: Rob Hoar in response to: Rob Hoar

Hello Rob

Please don’t understand me wrong but this old notebook was designed for WXP. I can imagine you have problems with Win7 installation but I am afraid there is no much you can do about that.

This old notebook models are not supported for Win7 and Toshiba will not offer some updates like BIOS update. If you want to use newest OS probably you must also update your hardware. Maybe it is time for new notebook. ;)
PinkPanther

Posted: 01-Dec-2009 15:27   in response to: Rob Hoar in response to: Rob Hoar

Hi buddy,

I’m a little bit confused because you want to install Windows 7 on this pretty old notebook. Are you not satisfied with the preinstalled OS that should be Windows XP? In my opinion the notebook will operate faster on XP as on Windows 7.

If you can install “factory settings” form Toshiba recovery disk it’s all ok with your notebook and this error message means that something is maybe not compatible with Windows 7.

What do you think?
Rob Hoar

Posted: 01-Dec-2009 20:43   in response to: Andrej in response to: Andrej

Thanks for your thoughts.

You're both probably right about it being too old (although it does have a 2GHz processor & 2GB RAM) but I thought it worth a try as I have a spare copy of Windows 7 and much prefer it to XP (I have it running on my newer Toshiba laptop).

I'll try a couple more things then restore XP if I can'™t crack the problem.

Any idea what CLASSPNP.SYS is meant to be controlling? It seems to have something to do with SCSI controller but I don'™t think this pc has any SCSI devices.

Cheers, Rob

Message was edited by: Rob Hoar
Rob Hoar

Posted: 01-Dec-2009 23:06   in response to: Rob Hoar in response to: Rob Hoar

Good news - I've found a solution to the problem posted on Microsoft TechNet and it has solved the problem (reading the posts it seems that this is a common problem with older Toshiba laptops).

Solution:
Rename \Windows\System32\drivers\pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.bak

Link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/1381a417-32b5-4630-a526-1adc4b3680cd

Windows 7 now running smoothly. Hooray!

Cheers
Rob
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums