Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
BIOS (Insyde H20) upgrade from DOS - Satellite A300-24X
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 16-Sep-2009 08:39 Last Post By: zpintar
zpintar

BIOS (Insyde H20) upgrade from DOS - Satellite A300-24X
Posted: 30-Jun-2009 09:21

Hello,

I bought Toshiba Satellite A300-24X notebook WITHOUT preinstalled operating system.

I'm running Linux and I want to upgrade my BIOS from version 1.8 to 1.9 via some DOS/FreeDOS utility.

The main problem is what the BIOS flash utility running only under Windows OS.

Why Toshiba do not provide DOS flash utility for people who bought notebook without Windows OS and want/need to upgrade BIOS without buying/installing Windows OS only for these purposes???

Is it possible to upgrade my BIOS (Insyde H2O) with some DOS flasher?

regards,
Zarko
Eldorado

Re: BIOS (Insyde H20) upgrade from DOS - Satellite A300-24X
Posted: 30-Jun-2009 09:40   in response to: zpintar in response to: zpintar

Hi

You could update the BIOS using the floppy disk but you would need a traditional BIOS update.
But fact is that ONLY Win-based BIOS is available on the Toshiba page and it can be updated only running a Windows OS.

But as far as I know the local ASP (authorized service partner) in your country could update the BIOS using a floppy disk.

So if you need the BIOS update and don’t have installed Microsoft Windows OS then you would need to contact the ASP guys.

Bye
zpintar

Posted: 30-Jun-2009 10:40   in response to: Eldorado in response to: Eldorado

Hmmm, is there a some other way?

For example, with USB stick or via CD and some key combination at booting?

With BIOS recovery routine?
Lars_3

Posted: 30-Jun-2009 13:26   in response to: zpintar in response to: zpintar

Hi!

I think the name says everything: Windows-based. That means you can only update the BIOS on a running Windows system and so it’s not possible to do this on a Linux system or on DOS.
If you want to update the BIOS you have to install a Windows system or you go to an ASP. Maybe they can update it on DOS.

By the way, why do you want to update the BIOS? Is it just for fun? If yes you should not do this. BIOS update is always a little bit risky and should only be done if you have a problem with notebook.

Bye
zpintar

Posted: 30-Jun-2009 13:34   in response to: Lars_3 in response to: Lars_3

I never upgrade any BIOSes ever only for fun purposes ;)

I have problem with CPU Fan after STR state (Suspend to RAM). After resuming, CPU is overheated and at about 70C CPU Fan start working and never stop.

This is not a Linux kernel bug! Because at normal bootstraping, Fan works well, and at all time BIOS handle Fan (not kernel! I'm sure because I tried to boot with kernel option acpi=off), so after suspend BIOS lose control over Fan (or part of ACPI) and I hope that Toshiba resolved that in BIOS version 1.9
No2spam

Posted: 12-Sep-2009 01:46   in response to: zpintar in response to: zpintar

I was in this same predicament came across this post looking for a solution except with a Satelite L350-0LG. Found one I downloaded the windows version from toshiba.ca and extracted the files to get file names. Then I went to toshiba.com the USA site they have ISO's you can burn except the model numbers did not match up but I was still able to find a flash for an L350 just not exactly matched with my model number. I mathed up the extracted files with the ones on the ISO I dowlaoded and now have the latest BIOS 1.90 without have to install windows. Hope this helps nay other *nix users.
zpintar

Posted: 14-Sep-2009 20:47   in response to: No2spam in response to: No2spam

Can you give me the link to that .ISO file, and describe how exactly you changed BIOS file in that .ISO?

thanks

Zarko
No2spam

Posted: 15-Sep-2009 21:25   in response to: zpintar in response to: zpintar
Helpful
Go here http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp# click download filter for BIOS and your model, inside the download you will find the ISO. Make sure you match up the *.fd file for your system with the windows version available for your country. I did not have to make any changes to the ISO, when I go to toshiba.ca and find the winblowz only BIOS flash I extracted it in a VM to find the *.fd file and matched it up to the one I downloaded at toshiba.com.

Message was edited by: No2spam
zpintar

Posted: 16-Sep-2009 08:39   in response to: No2spam in response to: No2spam

Thanks a lot!

I successfully upgraded my BIOS and resolved issue with CPU Fan speed after waking from suspend to RAM state.

bye,

Zarko
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved