Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
No sound on Satellite A80 speakers
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 30-Jul-2009 07:27 Last Post By: Lars_3
TLH

No sound on Satellite A80 speakers
Posted: 27-Jul-2009 18:12

I bought a 2nd hand Satellite A80 laptop recently and after I've reinstalled Windows XP Pro with SP3 and the audio driver downloaded from Toshiba download center, the sound from the speaker panel is really soft and i mean really really soft until you would think that there is no sound at all. You have to listen very closely next to the speaker and can only hear a very faint hum (2% of the sound) when I tried to play an mp3.

If I tried with the headphone jack, I can hear the sound although I expected it to be louder.
The sound is not mute and all sound drivers in the hardware configuration shows the drivers are working fine.

I've tried uninstalling the driver, reboot the notebook and installed the latest Realtek AC 97 driver downloaded from Realtek, and the problem is still the same.
I've even tried using Toshiba's recovery disk to restore the entire system back to the Windows Home Edition, still no difference.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?
Appreciate the help as I've been trying to fix the problem for 2 days.
Akuma

Re: No sound on Satellite A80 speakers
Posted: 28-Jul-2009 02:53   in response to: TLH in response to: TLH

Is there an "SRS" sticker on the laptop?

I think you may need to install the SRS driver to boost the volume. Have a look on the Toshiba Website in the support/drivers section.

Or have a look in C:\TOSAPINS\ for the SRS Driver/utility.
Lars_3

Posted: 28-Jul-2009 07:32   in response to: TLH in response to: TLH
Correct
Hi

In worst case the internal speakers are faulty and must be replaced :(

But did you try to update the BIOS? Check the Toshiba website for an update.
Before you start the update you should close all running programs and also your antivirus and firewall software.

Normally you can change the sound volume in control panel > sound and with the volume control on the front side of the laptop.

Bye
TLH

Posted: 30-Jul-2009 02:45   in response to: Akuma in response to: Akuma

Hi Akuma,

Thanks for your suggestion.
Yes, the SRS driver was already automatically installed after I've restored the Windows Home Edition from the CD provided. However, it still doesn't solve the problem.
TLH

Posted: 30-Jul-2009 02:49   in response to: Lars_3 in response to: Lars_3

Hi Lars_3!

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!
Yes, the problem is with the volume control on the front side of the laptop. I didn't realized that there is a volumn control 'hidden' there. It was turned to the most minimum when I checked it. After increasing the volume, the sound works fine now.
Thank you so much again, so glad that I did not send the laptop to the service center yet. :)
Lars_3

Posted: 30-Jul-2009 07:27   in response to: TLH in response to: TLH

Great news, mate!!! :)

By the way, thanks for feedback.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)