Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite Pro A10 PSA15e - No More Wireless Chip
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 05-Jun-2009 14:09 Last Post By: jeebo
jeebo

Satellite Pro A10 PSA15e - No More Wireless Chip
Posted: 03-Jun-2009 16:57

Hi all, I am new to the forum so please be gentle with me!

I recently was given a Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 (PSA15e-01PJY-EN), unfortunately I have not been given any recovery disks! (if anyone could send me a copy of the recovery disk for this machine, I would be over the moon!!)

However, I have recently tried to install windows xp home with the disk, and used the key on the bottom of the laptop.
Installation has run ok, however all of a sudden, it can only see the intel LAN port.

I have ran the likes of device manager, Belarc and AIDA... all of a sudden since formatting, nothing can detect the wirless chip, is this a problem with the fact that I am not using the recovery disks?

I havent disabled it in BIOS, nor can I actually see it in BIOS.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Many Thanks

J
Barrie

Re: Satellite A10 - No More Wireless Chip
Posted: 03-Jun-2009 17:21   in response to: jeebo in response to: jeebo
Helpful
When you install OS using Microsoft installations CD you will have “naked” operating system and you must install drivers for each hardware component including WLAN card.

All drivers and Toshiba tools you can download from Toshiba support and download page.
I believe there you can also find document called “Installations instructions”. There you can find exact installations order. Following this order you can perfectly configure and install all hardware on your laptop.

Please visit http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com
All you can find under archive.

If you need more assistance about it please let us know.
jeebo

Posted: 04-Jun-2009 09:50   in response to: jeebo in response to: jeebo

Hi,

I have checked the file of installation instructions, however it refers to XP Pro. it also mentions the "toshiba wireless driver" which, isnt available for the model, it only has the atheros, and agere drivers.

my other minor problem is that I have XP Home...

J
Jayjay

Posted: 04-Jun-2009 09:55   in response to: jeebo in response to: jeebo
Helpful
It’s no matter if it’s a Win XP Pro or Home.
The Win XP driver works with both Win XP versions.

But just one question; do you have some yellow exclamation marks or unknown devices in the device manager -> Network adapters?

If there is no unknown device in Network adapters then this would mean that there is no WLan card installed in this notebook!
Many models are equipped with and without the WLan card!
jeebo

Re: Satellite Pro A10 PSA15e - No More Wireless Chip
Posted: 04-Jun-2009 10:01   in response to: jeebo in response to: jeebo

It has the wireless switch on the front of the machine, and i was told by its former owner that it had wireless. but its strange, as I have checked the device manager and like I mentioned, used hardware identifier apps, and they couldnt see it, I wasnt sure if the installation had corrupted it, or if the chip itself is now damaged??

Thanks

J
Jayjay

Posted: 04-Jun-2009 10:05   in response to: jeebo in response to: jeebo

As I said above the same notebook model could be equipped with the WLan card or could be sold without the WLan card.
There are different hardware configurations… so it’s no matter if the WLan switch is available… this means nothing.
Fact is that if the WLan card is not listed in the device manager then the notebook doesn’t support WLan card.
jeebo

Posted: 04-Jun-2009 10:14   in response to: Jayjay in response to: Jayjay

indeed, I can agree with that, but would it make sense, as I mentioned earlier that the previous owner said it had Wireless, and now it doesnt, could it be a corrupt/damaged chip now then?

J
Jayjay

Posted: 04-Jun-2009 10:52   in response to: jeebo in response to: jeebo

Of course it could be possible that the WLan chip would malfunction but in my opinion the previous owner was wrong.
Either he didn’t know that there is no WLan or he told half the truth.
jeebo

Posted: 05-Jun-2009 14:09   in response to: jeebo in response to: jeebo

if its possible that the chip malfunctioned then that could be the case. I have to admit it did have in built wireless as I repaired his laptop a good few weeks ago so I know it definately had the inbuilt wireless. it certainly seems then that the chip must have malfunctioned...

many thanks to you all!

J
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved