Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Toshiba Power Saver Fatal Error. Code 0x0
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 02-Jun-2009 09:05 Last Post By: sanremo
Raymond Foo

Toshiba Power Saver Fatal Error. Code 0x0
Posted: 02-Jun-2009 05:03

Hi All,

I have recently received this new Tecra M10 Laptop (Model PTMB0A-00M001) replacing my existing Corporate Laptop. It came loaded with Windows XP and built per the standard laptop build.

It is working fine except that on startup I have been getting the error message "A Fatal error has occurred. This program will be terminated. code: 0x0"

I have done some investigation and I think the original build may have been compromised as there are no files in the C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Power Saver directory except for a TPSTrace.log which has this message inside it: "A Fatal error has occurred. This program will be terminated. code: 0x0 Location: TPwrSave.cpp(140)". The Power Saver software claims to be v7.11.00.

I have downloaded the later version 7.11.10 (for XP) and when attempting to install, this software asks if it can uninstall the existing version and then as it tries, the fatal error code: 0x0 occurs which stops the uninstall, and I assume the reinstall. It seems a great pity to restore from CD's losing all the data, and other software which is fine all because of this pooey Power Saver software. Given the original install was no doubt standard, there is no guarantee that even if I do a system restore from CD that the same problem does not re-manifest itself.

Is there someway I can make XP think the software is removed (it seems to be physically missing but XP thinks it is present) by forcing an uninstall. I could then try and reinstall to see if I can do better than what it was when it was delivered to me. Alternatively, I'd be more than happy to just operate without it, for the trouble it causes.

Thanks in advance.

Raymond
Akuma

Re: Toshiba Power Saver Fatal Error. Code 0x0
Posted: 02-Jun-2009 05:13   in response to: Raymond Foo in response to: Raymond Foo

You'll need to clear it from the registry.

Try CCleaner first, it may be able to remove the bad registry keys for you. (google for 'CCleaner")

Otherwise run Regedit and search for "saver". Be careful what you delete, so ensure the results refer to Toshiba Power Saver.

ps. backup the registry first. You can do this by creating a Restore Point in Windows. (Control Panel -> System)
Raymond Foo

Posted: 02-Jun-2009 06:44   in response to: Raymond Foo in response to: Raymond Foo

Hi All...My apologies. I have now managed to solve the problem, it took a lot of mucking about but finally it worked. This is how I did it:

1. Ran MSCONFIG clicked on the startup tab and disabled TPSMain.exe and TPSODDCtl.exe from starting up.
2. Ran Regedit and deleted all instances of TPSODDCtl.exe, TPSMain.exe and anything relating to "Toshiba Power Saver" by searching using Find within Regedit (This should only be attempted if a full backup of the registry or the keys being deleted is made, and if you're confident about using regedit. The first important thing to note in doing this is one of trhe first matches with Regedit on the term "Toshiba Power Saver" if ran from the top of the Regedit Tree, will show something like this in one of the values: C:\WINDOWS\Installer{9ACBDDE2-DD2D-4103-8ECE-D1A9F7F03D1A}\1033.MST. The item in the curly braket is very important - this is the key I will refer to a lot from now on.

Deleting is risky - delete the wrong registry key and you may have to reinstall from recovery CD's).

During the find and delete keys, one of the keys will refer to C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information, and will include a directory like C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information{9ACBDDE2-DD2D-4103-8ECE-D1A9F7F03D1A} where the key in the curly brackets will have already appeared in the registry keys a number of times. Very carefully navigate to the C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information directory and delete the directory that has the same key name for the Toshiba Power Saver that you've already uncovered (mine directory was {9ACBDDE2-DD2D-4103-8ECE-D1A9F7F03D1A}.
3. Did one final sweep looking for TPSMain.exe, TPSODDCtl.exe or Toshiba Power Saver. Exit Regedit once confirmed no further matches in the registry.
4. Reboot the laptop
5. MS Config may give a message about being set different for testing and the need to reset to normal (this is because we suppressed the two exe files in 1. above). It is now OK to reset to normal.
6. The error message (Toshiba Power Saver Fatal Error Code 0x0) should no longer appear, if it does, repeat step 2,3,4 to make sure no references exist in the registry.
7. Optional Reboot (I did just to be sure)
8. Reinstall the appropriate driver which can be downloaded from the Toshiba Site, do a search based on the Laptop Model and Model Number not just Tecra M10, but PTMB0A to make sure we have the right utility for the laptop.
9. Finally Reboot and if it all went well, the power saver will install and be working properly.

PS: Sorry for wasting anyone's time....

Cheers

Raymond
sanremo

Posted: 02-Jun-2009 09:03   in response to: Raymond Foo in response to: Raymond Foo

Thank you for this detailed step-by-step description.

I am very glad to see you wrote short warning and hope the people will understand that playing with registry entries can damage preinstalled operating system.
If you have more useful tips please post it on this forum.

Good luck!
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved