Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite M305-4848 - Webcam cannot be found using Skype
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 22-May-2009 05:43 Last Post By: mmurilloco
Nikki_1

Satellite M305-4848 - Webcam cannot be found using Skype
Posted: 23-Oct-2008 10:46

I just got a new laptop today, a Toshiba Satellite M305-4848. The webcam that's built in is a Chicory 2.0, I think.

But every time I try and run it in Skype, it says 'No webcam found. Check your webcam or check that it is properly connected.' and every time I run the camera assistant, it says that 'Webcam is either disabled or has failed. Please check your webcam settings.'

So, I went to the Device Manager and looked for Imaging Devices. But not only was that not there, but neither was Chicony USB 2.0 Camera. I thought that maybe that meant the driver wasn't installed, but when I tried to install it, it said that the driver WAS installed.

I'm seriously frustrated with it right now. Can anyone help me with this?

ETA: Now the camera assistant is saying 'Webcam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer.' and I've tried both. It doesn't work. The message in Skype is still the same.

Message was edited by: Nikki_1
Gipsyman

Re: Satellite M305-4848 - Webcam cannot be found using Skype
Posted: 23-Oct-2008 11:03   in response to: Nikki_1 in response to: Nikki_1

Maybe this will work for you:

• Download the updated Chicony Webcam driver from http://203.56.127.6/driver_download/Public//p2_all/ChiconyWebcam_v1.7.175.0123.exe
• Install Vista Service Pack 1, or Vista Hotfix KB934374: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934374 (KB934374 is included in SP1)
• Make sure that Skype is completely closed, and not sitting in the System Tray before the webcam software driver was not loaded.
• Try closing the Camera Assistant Bar on the left of the Desktop.
• To stop the Camera Assistant software from running on startup, run Regedit and delete "Camera Assistant Software" from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

Check it out
Nikki_1

Posted: 23-Oct-2008 11:41   in response to: Gipsyman in response to: Gipsyman

I tried all of those, and it did not work. I already have Vista SP1 installed, and the driver is an older version of one that I already have, or so says the error message that pops up when I try to install it. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled the current driver I have, and I'm still getting the same message of Skype, and a new one on the camera assistant, which continues to say the same thing as it does in my ETA.

Is there anything else I can try?
Gipsyman

Posted: 23-Oct-2008 11:52   in response to: Nikki_1 in response to: Nikki_1

Hmm… check the video settings in Skype.
There is a option in video setting which allows you to choose an webcam.

In my case I’ve got two possibilities. I can choose a standard webcam and Chicony webcam.
I’ve chosen the standard video device and the internal webcam functioning too.

Additionally the webcam software is doesn’t appear in taskbar and it doesn’t exists in registry RUN key or msconfig -> “StartUp” tab

Should check this too
Nikki_1

Posted: 23-Oct-2008 12:13   in response to: Gipsyman in response to: Gipsyman

The only option in the video settings on Skype is 'Default webcam' which it says there isn't one. As for the regedit thing, I don't see a HKLM folder, but I did look in all the ones available. Both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_LOCAL_USER went to the folders you specified, but neither had the camera assistant in it. I did find the camera assistant in the msconfig thing, and disabled it from start up.

Message was edited by: Nikki_1
Gipsyman

Posted: 23-Oct-2008 12:33   in response to: Nikki_1 in response to: Nikki_1

So it looks definitely like the webcam software was not installed properly. Why? Who knows… ?:|
If the webcam software would be installed correctly then you should be able to choose it in Skype. I think your last option before restoring the whole OS would be removing the webcam software from the Vista, then to clean the Vista and registry using the CCleaner (it’s free tool) and then after new reboot to reinstall the webcam software again.

If this will not help you then I’m out of idea…. Then it looks really like muddled Vista OS and a new reinstall seems to be the last solution.
SMF22

Posted: 30-Jan-2009 05:26   in response to: Gipsyman in response to: Gipsyman

I am having the same issue with mine did this ever get fixed? and if it did can you tell me how you did it
Raver

Posted: 30-Jan-2009 08:07   in response to: SMF22 in response to: SMF22

Have you read all these tips as Gipsyman said? I mean the new driver, Service Pack for Windows and Hotfix and so far.

Normally after this the webcam should work and in worst case you must reinstall your notebook with the recovery disk.
mmurilloco

Posted: 22-May-2009 05:43   in response to: Raver in response to: Raver

Hi.

I had the same problem. I fiixed it updating the webcam driver. Then, I chose "browse my computer for driver software. Then, I wrote C:\ to location, and got clik on Find Button.

Windows find a driver, installed and now my webcam is working.

I hope this help you.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved