Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Satellite 1410-604 - Can't get wirless to work
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 04-May-2009 19:33 Last Post By: Fenix_D
Klattrup

Satellite 1410-604 - Can't get wirless to work
Posted: 19-Jan-2009 20:35

Hey there, i seem to have a problem with my Satellite 1410-604, i got the "Toshiba WirelessLanDriver" briefcase of the cd as it said, i follow the instruction, but yet it says the .msi file is containing no information about the driver for some reason so i cannot get my wireless to work on this pc,

Any suggestions on how i do it?

As far as i know this is a old serie and i havent been able to find any help on ANY toshiba webpage. so now im gonna try out this forum and see if anyone got a suggestions..

Regards.

Klattrup

Akuma

Re: Satellite S1410-604 - Can't get wirless to work
Posted: 20-Jan-2009 01:48   in response to: Klattrup in response to: Klattrup

What Wireless card is it, Intel, Atheros, Agere?

You could be installing the wrong Driver.

Go to the Toshiba website and download the latest Wireless LAN driver for the Satellite 1410.
Jimi

Re: Satellite 1410-604 - Can't get wirless to work
Posted: 20-Jan-2009 14:49   in response to: Klattrup in response to: Klattrup

Hi

As far as I know the Satellite 1410-604 has been equipped with WLan but it was optional.
So possibly your notebook does not support the Wlan card and the Wlan is not built-in.

Please check firstly in device manager if there is an yellow exclamation mark under Network adaptors or if the Wlan card is recognized.

If not then this would mean that the WLan card is not in.
Fenix_D

Posted: 04-May-2009 13:55   in response to: Klattrup in response to: Klattrup

Hello Klattrup!

Well, let's get 'your' trouble into pieces, so others can get some help also.

I have the same model, and have been researching for a while now, and I can say that I think I am starting to understand what is going on on this artifacts that give us such a headake.

============== FIRST =================
Are you sure you do have a Wireless Network Interface Card?

It is important to say that this notebook didn't include Wireless LAN interface from factory. It is an optional device, and you have to request it specifically in order to have WiFi available.
Therefore, in order to know if you do have a Wireless LAN card installed, you should follow this steps (all of this will be explained for Windows XP):
FIRST OF ALL ENSURE YOU TURNED ON THE WIFI INTERFACE. There is a switch below the 1.44 disk bay, when ON the led should illuminate in yellow. Also there is a FN key that should turn it active or inactive.
(1) Go to START and click right button in MyPC, then click in properties then go to the hardware tab, and then click in device manager.
(2) Check inside network category. You should have a Wireless Mini PCI card listed if you yave it installed. If it is listed, and no marks are there, you have one installed and working. (jump to 5)
If it is marked in a yellow sign there is a problem with the card (most probable a drivers failure or a card failure). (Jump to 3)
If it is marked in a red sign, the card is disabled for some reason. (jump to 3)
If you don't have such card listed, it is possible that you don't have one installed, or it is fired and the system does not recognize it. (jump to 4)
(3) If you have a warning mark (yellow or red) double click in the card, and then check what is going on. If the drivers are not installed, update your drivers, if it is disabled, enable it, and if there is a warn about failed installation uninstall it (from the device manager only) and reboot. Windows should see it again, and should ask you for the drivers. There is help available on how to proceed according to what indication you have. (this point ends here).
(4) If you don't have the card listed, you should open the cover at the bottom (check your manual in order to know which cover to open), the Mini PCI should be empty. If it is not, there is a card intalled, that is not being recognized by the operating system. You should replace it, by one of the accepted brands and model. Take care when you disconnect and connect the antenna. (this point ends here).
(5) If you have the card listed, and it is turned ON, but it fails to detect any WireLess network, (and you do know you are close enough to a good wireless network) then you should check if the card and the antenna is properly connected.
Open the WiFi cover as stated in point 4. You should see two wires. One black and one white. You will see an indication in the plastic in the cover that states "WHITE =>", meaning the white wire must be in the right side of the card.
If so, everithing looks OK at this point, and you should have the network listed in your wireless network manager in Windows XP. There is a whole world between saying this and meaning you will be able to connect to the network. We have just checked the hardware by now.

============= SECOND ==============

It is quite frequent nowadays that this laptop with the wireless card OK and properly installed won't connect to any wireless having WEP or WAP encription activated.

This would mean that probably you will only get access to open WLan's. I'll try to explain what are my own findings regarding this.

I did have problems connecting to any protected wireless lan, but in the other hand, when the encription (WEP or WAP) is turned off (open network) it connected almost instantly and worked just fine (with the limitations this card have).

There is no way to connect due to several reasons:

• The cards that this computer is prepared to accept are now very old. All of them are previous to the 802.11G and N technology (only B standard), and very probably older than the WEP and WAP most moderns ecription methods.

• WEP encription allows 64 and 128 bits encription, hexadecimal or ASCII keys. And this cards doesn't allow to change what kind of encription you are going to use. If your LAN is set with 128 and your card is 64, you will never connect.

• New drivers will not allow more connectivity, because this configuration must be done only by hardware. If the hardware does not accept this changes, the drivers won't allow it either.

• You can think to use an USB WiFi stick. But take into consideration that this computer does not support USB 2.0 so you will be seriously limited in this point. I tried to use an ENCORE ENUWI-G USB Wireless Stick, and was not able to make it work in this machine. Windows never recognized it, and it was not possible to install it.

Conclusion of this point: You can connect to open wireless networks well. But it is very probable you will not be able to connect to any encripted wireless LAN. This looks for me up to now with no solution allowable.

=============== THIRD ================

Maybe you are a technician. Maybe you are an advanced user. Maybe you are a novell user. In any case maybe you are thinking of getting your BIOS updated in order to get this machine (1410-604) at least up to the last BIOS maid by TOSHIBA.

Maybe you already searched in TOSHIBA's repository for a newer BIOS for your machine. And if you did so, you certainly would have found two BIOS updates available (one for windows, one 'traditional').

DON'T EVEN THINK OF INSTALLING IT.

I did search all of the drivers available for this machine, and found (also) those BIOS:

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=UK

There you can find the following Models:

"Satellite 1410-801, Satellite 2410-703, Satellite 1410-902, Satellite 2410-304S, Satellite 1410-354, Satellite 2410-601, Satellite 1410-401, Satellite 1410-604, Satellite 2410-414, Satellite 2410-404, Satellite 1410-301, Satellite 1410, Satellite 1410-304, Satellite 2410-S403, Satellite Pro 2100, Satellite 1410-654S, Satellite 1410-S203, Satellite 1410-554, Satellite 1410-S102, Satellite 2410-304, Satellite 1410-814, Satellite 2410-303, Satellite 1410-354E, Satellite 2410-S203, Satellite 1410-303, Satellite 2410-603, Satellite 1410-313, Satellite 1410-802, Satellite 2410-354, Satellite 1410-714, Satellite 2410-514, Satellite 1410-614, Satellite 1410-704, Satellite 2410-515, Satellite 2410-702, Satellite 2410-504, Satellite 1410-S103"

When you download and uncompress the file, the resulting file will be:

2410A9V140.exe

As far as I could understand this would mean:

2410 ---> model of notebook.
A9 ---> BIOS (?)
V140 ---> Version 1.4.

If you make another search through the askiris of Toshiba (http://askiris.toshiba.com), look for the string BIOS 1410.

You will find the BIOS version 1.40.

When you download and uncompress the file, you will find among others that 2410A9V140.EXE file, and if you uncompress that file (not executing, but uncompressing) you will find a readme.

The readme says:

"This BIOS is applicable to the following models:

Satellite 1410-S105
Satellite 1410-S106
Satellite 1410-S173
Satellite 1410-S174
Satellite 1410-S175
Satellite 1410-S176
Satellite 1415-S105
Satellite 1415-S106
Satellite 1415-S115
Satellite 1415-S173
Satellite 1415-S174
Satellite 1415-S175
Satellite 1415-S176
Satellite 2410-S203
Satellite 2410-S204"

WARNING: AS you can see, the 1410-604 is not listed at all in this BIOS applicable systems.

Since the BIOS (Basic Input - Output System) is a VERY delicate matter and MUST match the exact system, and since TOSHIBA does not list the 1410-604 model in the list, I would suggest NOT UPGRADING using this file, at least untill you are UNDOUBTELY sure it is applicable and compatible. The risk is a fatal and permanent failure of the complete system.

Furthermore, pay attention to the TOSHIBA warning at their site:

"Toshiba provides this information "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Toshiba shall not be responsible for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of the information provided. Toshiba is not liable for any damage caused by the use of any information provided, including information that is incomplete or incorrect."

Therefore, take EXTREME care, and DON'T THINK Toshiba is there to help you, they are there to sell to you, but they are not assuming any risponsibility for any thing they say. They give you solutions, but at the same time they say 'this can fail and I am not risponsible for what my words can cause in your system'.

Hope all of this can help others.

Best regards,

Fenix_D.

Jayjay

Posted: 04-May-2009 14:05   in response to: Fenix_D in response to: Fenix_D

Hi mate

First of all: thanks for this great topic and this detailed information how to solve the WLan issue.
But I would like to add something regarding this statement:
"Toshiba provides this information "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Toshiba shall not be responsible for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of the information provided. Toshiba is not liable for any damage caused by the use of any information provided, including information that is incomplete or incorrect."
Therefore, take EXTREME care, and DON'T THINK Toshiba is there to help you, they are there to sell to you, but they are not assuming any risponsibility for any thing they say. They give you solutions, but at the same time they say 'this can fail and I am not risponsible for what my words can cause in your system'.

I read here in some threads regarding this forum and it’s a user-to user forum… so I think you should understand that everything what you find here in the forum is not coming from Toshiba but from the Toshiba enthusiast and users who try to help other Toshiba users… Maybe this would help to understand this small text passage…

However, thsi was just a notice from my side... but great posting mate!!! really helpful!!!
Fenix_D

Posted: 04-May-2009 18:17   in response to: Jayjay in response to: Jayjay

Hi Jayjay!

Absolutely agree with you. I think you didn't get what I intended to say, or I wasn't clear enough.

What I was trying to say is that anyone who chooses to upgrade a BIOS is playing with fire, and that should pay extreme attention to what Toshiba is saying. They are saying something like "use it at your own risk" even though in another place in their own website they are encouraging the upgrade... (somehow confusing isnt it?).

I do know this forum is an U2U (user to user) forum, and Toshiba just created it so users give assistance to other users... wich makes me remind of MicroSoft way... poor support, and a GREAT community, that will help among themselves.

Actually, if you navigate a bit through this forum, you will find a LOT of answers... a lot of answers where Toshiba did nothing at all... they just let others to do what is suposed to be their work... :P :P ;)

You are right. This is not a Toshiba's help or technical support forum. It's a Toshiba's Users help forum, and it is GREAT because if those people who wrote such helpful answers... What would we have to do? Wait until Toshiba answers something with some of knowledge?

I've called several times to the Toshiba Tech Support phone, and is noticeable that the operators don't know anything about computers. If you bring to them a problem out of the script they have, they quickly run out of answers, and tell you to bring the artifact to an ASP... :P :P :P

:D :D

Thank you very much for your observation, and so sorry if it sound like an empty criticism. It was not my intention, just trying to warn those who could be thinking of upgrading a BIOS that they are about to enter to the twilight zone...

:)
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved