Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
How to wipe my computer without recovery DVD?
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 04-Dec-2008 23:48 Last Post By: Akuma
nikkturr

How to wipe my computer without recovery DVD?
Posted: 19-Nov-2008 18:16

I want to wipe my computer because I can’t figure out what is wrong with it and why it won’t connect to my hotel's wireless internet.

I am on my other laptop right now and it connects just fine to the hotel's internet. I have never wiped a computer out with Vista and I have tried system restore like 50 times but it won’t do a full restore. I am 6 hours away from home and my recovery discs are there.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do or is there another way to wipe my computer without the discs? I’m not sure when I am going home and I really need my Toshiba to work.

Thanks
Nikki
Feliks

Re: How to wipe my computer without recovery DVD?
Posted: 20-Nov-2008 15:17   in response to: nikkturr in response to: nikkturr

Hello Nikki

Can you please tell me which Toshiba notebook model do you have?

Anyway, you cannot have “factory settings” again without recovery DVD. What you can do is to install operating system using original Microsoft installations CD/DVD and later install all drivers, tools and utilities additionally but it can be complicated if you don't have experience with it.

Maybe you should explain to us what your problem is exactly.

I cannot imagine there is some big problem with WLAN. If the WLAN card is listed and installed properly (check it in device manager) all you must do is to enable WLAN card properly. At first enable WLAN switch – the WLAN LED must be ON. Then use FN+F8 key combination and enable WLAN card.

If there is everything OK you should be able to connect to the WLAN. The principle is the same as in WXP. Click on START > “Connect to” and be sure your favourite WLAN is listed there.
Barrie

Posted: 26-Nov-2008 19:15   in response to: nikkturr in response to: nikkturr

I don't know what is the problem with the WLAN but, as Feliks already wrote, maybe is there just problem with WLAN settings.
Please be sure the WLAN card is enabled properly and compare the WLAN settings on both notebooks. They should be identical.
coreboot

Posted: 04-Dec-2008 23:00   in response to: nikkturr in response to: nikkturr

Do i understand correctly "wipe out" - you want to delete everything on the hard disks?

If you want to wipe the disks - download a linux boot cd (e.g. from opnesuse.org) and wipe the disks by typing "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda", this will write Zeros in every sector of your hard disk.

Or do you want to have a fresh and clean installation of your installation system?
Akuma

Posted: 04-Dec-2008 23:48   in response to: nikkturr in response to: nikkturr

When you say "Wipe", I assume you mean you want to restore Windows back to its factory state.

"wiping" the HDD means deleting everything on the HDD. If you do this, Windows wont boot and you will see an error saying there is "No Operating System".

If the Recovery process fails when you hold down the Zero key on power-up, then your only option is to run Recovery using your Recovery Disc.

Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved