Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
How to reinstall Vista without any Vista disks
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read
Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 29-Oct-2008 19:20 Last Post By: Pavoni
niki

How to reinstall Vista without any Vista disks
Posted: 02-Oct-2008 22:41

Hi there,

I got my laptop with Vista preinstalled and I have no discs.
I am having major problems as it keeps crashing and I want to format the hard drive but I have no CD to reinstall.

Any ideas?
Jaba

Re: How to reinstall Vista without any Vista disks
Posted: 03-Oct-2008 10:01   in response to: niki in response to: niki

What notebook do you have exactly?
Was the notebook equipped with HDD recovery option???
Pavoni

Posted: 28-Oct-2008 10:23   in response to: niki in response to: niki

Hi,

I have the same problem:
Satellite A300 1LO with pre-installed VISTA

I have used the Toshiba HDD Recovery Disk Creator right after the first time so I have a backup. But know I want to setup a clean Vista installation. Having no Original Vista CD/DVD what can I do here? I tried to install VISTA with an other VISTA CD from a friend by using my CD-Key but this failed.

Any idea or suggestion?

What will actuall be recovered with my recovery DVD? Complete system with all drivers & software or can I choose only Vista?

Thanks
Pavoni
obeth4life

Posted: 29-Oct-2008 07:46   in response to: Pavoni in response to: Pavoni

you can install windows vista from other cd or dvd, but your windows key came from laptop is not valid to install from another CD, this is valid only if you have a toshiba recovery disc....
obeth4life

Posted: 29-Oct-2008 07:50   in response to: niki in response to: niki

if you need a recovery disc this is a link

http://www.backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx
Pavoni

Posted: 29-Oct-2008 09:25   in response to: obeth4life in response to: obeth4life

Thanks for the link (I have spend the ca. 40 euro but what I will get actually? The meaning of "Recovery disk " is for me a very wide range from
  • only a backup image form the original installation
  • or real installation CD to have a clean VISTA installation

Thanks
Andrej

Posted: 29-Oct-2008 10:27   in response to: Pavoni in response to: Pavoni

If you have already created Recovery DVD using “Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator” you have spent you money for the same thing. You will get exact the same media.
Recovery media contains recovery image and it will install operating system to be as after the first start. With other words – you will have factory settings again.

Recovery DVD is NOT the same as Microsoft Vista installations CD. Recovery image contains operating system, all drivers, different Toshiba tools and utilities and different additional applications.

A Microsoft installation DVD contains “naked” operating system without anything.

Back to your question:
only a backup image form the original installation
Yes it is a back up of factory settings.
or real installation CD to have a clean VISTA installation
Recovery image is also “clean” Vista installation but not the same as one when you use Microsoft installations DVD.

More questions?
Pavoni

Posted: 29-Oct-2008 11:33   in response to: Andrej in response to: Andrej

First Thanxs Andreij for your feedback - so 40 EUR for nothing - my wife will kill me but I have a double safety stock ;-)

My understanding is then
  • there is no possibility to get - from the start on - rid of all the Toshiba software which will come with the Recovery. Correct?
  • my OEM Microsoft Key is linked with this Recovery - so there is no option to use a Mircosoft Installation DVD and putting in my Key. Correct?

I have tried this already but error message was shown at the startup and to continue with a non activated installation (and doing the activation later) with the potential risk of the same error message afterwords looks not very usefull.

I need to remind my original problem as the first post here that my VISTA has as well a "sleeping" mode for 3 minutes until log in screen appears (and my thought was with a clean VISTA installation without any Toshiba software would solve this).

Hm - feeling not really better.
Ivan25

Posted: 29-Oct-2008 13:50   in response to: Pavoni in response to: Pavoni

So here is my opinion to all this:

There is no possibility to get - from the start on - rid of all the Toshiba software which will come with the Recovery. Correct?
No. it is not correct. Nobody force you to use all this stuff and you can remove it from the system anytime you want. So you can optimize and configure preinstalled recovery image to run faster and better. Check this interesting thread http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums//thread.jspa?messageID=134974
Pavoni

Posted: 29-Oct-2008 19:20   in response to: Ivan25 in response to: Ivan25

Hi Ivan25,

thank for the link - indeed very interessting and I will try this.

Thx
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved