Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Thread:
Installing Marvel Yukon 88E8040T Ethernet on Satellite U405 using Linux
Search Forum Boards
advanced searchadvanced search user searchuser search
Forum Content Key
Unread Indicates new content items added
Updated Indicates content items updated
Read Indicates content items read

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 09-Oct-2008 09:15 Last Post By: yak
Lemos

Installing Marvel Yukon 88E8040T Ethernet on Satellite U405 using Linux
Posted: 15-Aug-2008 03:52
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Sorry for my English. I'm writing from Brazil and the only reason that I'm not posting in Portuguese is because I want to let this information available for a bigger number of users.

I had some problems wile installing the Marvel Yukon Ethernet PCI on my Debian. I bought this notebook because it seems to feet all my needs, with a well sized RAM, processor and HD (the only problem is the notebook keyboard, that start to make ugly-typing noises after some time).

This post is dedicated to help other users that want to use almost any Linux flavor at their U405 series notebooks.

In first place, in order to have a notebook U405-S2854 working with the correct 1280x800 resolution, I had to abandon my old friend Debian Etch (stable - 2.6.18 kernel) and install Debian Lenny (testing - 2.6.24 kernel) because the package "xserver-xorg" at Debian Etch had problems to recognize the Intel VGA controller. I spent hours looking for a good solution at www.intellinuxgraphics.org website with no success.

Well... a little les conversation and MUCH more action:

If you have installed a 2.6.18 kernel or any older one, probably the X server will not be able to recognize your VGA controller and will configure it as a VESA adapter, using 1024x768 resolution, if you are satisfied with this (poor) resolution just go to the site http://www.marvell.com/drivers download, install your new Ethernet controller and live happy ever after.

But if you are using a kernel starting at 2.6.24, so the X server can really identify your "VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller" you may face some problems installing your Ethernet Card. The good news is that i found someone who solved the problem!

All you need to do is to open a terminal and copy-paste the following commands.

.$ sudo su -
(type your password)
.# rmmod sky2
.# cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net
.# cp -p sky2.ko{,.orig}
.# perl -pe 's/\0\0\x6c\x43/\0\0\x55\x43/g' sky2.ko.orig > sky2.ko
.# echo sky2 >> /etc/modules
.# modprobe sky2

Here is the URL that made my life easier http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5285654#post5285654

I hope this hint is useful for you as it was to me!

Regards.

DennisFarina

Re: Installing Marvel Yukon 88E8040T Ethernet on Satellite U405 using Linux
Posted: 17-Aug-2008 14:51   in response to: Lemos in response to: Lemos
Wow, your instruction is pretty good and absolutely clear. I appreciate it because I tried to install Ubuntu on my Sat A200 and this machine has also an Marvell chip.

Thanks for the great infos. :)))

Greets
yak

Re: Installing Marvel Yukon 88E8040T Ethernet on Satellite U405 using Linux
Posted: 09-Oct-2008 09:15   in response to: Lemos in response to: Lemos
A little update: since 2.6.26 the kernel recognizes the Marvell Yukon 88E8040T Ethernet card without any need for patching. The driver is the same, sky2.
Legend
Master: 700 + pts
Scholar: 300 - 699 pts
Aficionado: 150 - 299 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 149 pts
Beginner: 0 - 49 pts
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums

Copyright © 1995-2011 TOSHIBA Corporation, All Rights Reserved